Going clipless...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boardgirl

Hey all,

I apologise in advance as I'm sure this topic has been covered 'many' times. I did however want to base it on myself and my current situation etc

I've just bought a road bike, have got most of the stuff I need except padded tights (grrr) and some decent shoes.

I've spent ages looking online at different shoes and have also been into Evans who only had 2 choices for me to try on. I know there aren't as many options being a female with very small feet but could anyone recommend some decent shoes that are not over £100. I can't justify paying more than that for my first pair. I'm a Size 4/4.5 but understand I'll probably need to buy a Size 5.

Thank you

:cheers:

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Right...

This kind of depends on your choice of pedal and what type of riding you will be doing (I'm assuming you wont be racing etc?)

Personally, given you say you are a beginner etc I would suggest getting some walkable SPD shoes....MTB shoes are fine on a road bike and allow you to walk in other positions than that of a constipated penguin.

Something along these lines perhaps
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24530

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

Freeflow - Good call on Shimano. Found a pair, was about to order them...they don't come in my size :cry:

BB - Can I be honest? They look horrific :rolleyes: Come on, I'm still a 'lady' after all!

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

Oh and no not planning on racing, can't deal with the torture of coming last ^_^

I just want some shoes that will at least fit in the plastic cage that comes with my bike so that perhaps to start with I can use that and the straps to get to used to it...then I'll get the cleats when I'm a bit more into it. At the moment I'm using bulky trainers on top of the pedals and it just looks stupid and am getting no extra power because of it.
Have heard mixed reviews about getting MTB SPDs and am thinking it's easier to just go straight in and go for road ones. Need to try and save money.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
there's a whole load of different designs out there...some even look cute:stop:....but I think you'd be better off with walkable shoes like this....nothing looks worse than a cyclist hobbling home in the rain after too many punctures on non walkable road shoes....no matter how cool the shoes look :laugh:

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

Haha! Ok...but does that mean I have to go for MTB cleats or am I getting confused? If i can wear 5 inch heels, I reckon I'd be able to walk in these.

rockyraccoon

Veteran
Have heard mixed reviews about getting MTB SPDs and am thinking it's easier to just go straight in and go for road ones. Need to try and save money.

what about these for £45?

sante_bkplu.jpg

Top Bottom