Going clipless...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

they are for cycling.. :unsure:

yes. There are other models if you fancy paying a bit more

Hahahaha! Good point ;)

Erm, well I don't really want to spend more than £70 if i can help it?

D

Deleted member 23692

The bottom face of the cleat is level with the sole of the shoe, so you walk on the sole and not the cleat (like you would on a 'proper' road shoe). It won't make cycling more tricky as the SPD pedals are designed to work with shoes with recessed cleats

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

Hhmm ok cool. I'm definitely thinking about just trying them. Did you see the pair I just posted in post 23?

D

Deleted member 23692

Hhmm ok cool. I'm definitely thinking about just trying them. Did you see the pair I just posted in post 23?
Nice shoes, but they're at the upper end of the road shoe spectrum, and will only take SPD-SL cleats. Walking in those will be like walking on your heels - it's not easy

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

Nice shoes, but they're at the upper end of the road shoe spectrum, and will only take SPD-SL cleats. Walking in those will be like walking on your heels - it's not easy

Ok, this is where my lack of knowledge shows. When you say 'They will only take SPD-SL cleats' what exactly do you mean? I thought there were only two kinds?

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

I have sports direct shoes to try out before splashing cash on proper shoes. Got mine from the junior section and they fit just nice. But tbh after two months of SPDs I'm going back to flats for a while. I have a hill to conquer first then I might put them back on the bike.
These don't get a great review but for trial purposes they are ok.
http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-rbs-cycling-shoes-junior-090130

Thank you. Yeah I can see why you got them, I was considering some cycling shoes just to get to grips with the pedals but not sure now.

D

Deleted member 23692

Ok, this is where my lack of knowledge shows. When you say 'They will only take SPD-SL cleats' what exactly do you mean? I thought there were only two kinds?
There be numerous kinds :smile:

Shimano do two types - SPD and SPD-SL. SPD are also know as mountain bike or two bolt cleats, and SPD-SL have three bolts and are aimed at road bikes. Some shoes will only take two bolt cleats, some will only take 3 bolt cleats and sole will take both. Then there are a few other manufacturers that have their own variations of pedals/cleats but these will either be of a two bolt or three bolt fitting on the shoe.

It's a chicken and egg knowing whether to get shoes or pedals first, as one will obviously have to match the other. IMO unless you are looking at 'serious cycling' (AKA competitive) then stick to two bolt cleats/SPD pedals

Edit: have a read of this - http://www.wheelies.co.uk/blog/the-spd-pedal-explained/

Top Bottom