Going clipless...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member

Rob500

I just want some shoes that will at least fit in the plastic cage that comes with my bike so that perhaps to start with I can use that and the straps to get to used to it...then I'll get the cleats when I'm a bit more into it. ......................................................................... Need to try and save money.

Hi Boardgirl. Unless I'm reading this wrong then at the minute you've got normal pedals with toe clips? If so, don't forget to factor in the cost of new pedals to suit the clipless method you opt for.

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

There be numerous kinds :smile:

Shimano do two types - SPD and SPD-SL. SPD are also know as mountain bike or two bolt cleats, and SPD-SL have three bolts and are aimed at road bikes. Some shoes will only take two bolt cleats, some will only take 3 bolt cleats and sole will take both. Then there are a few other manufacturers that have their own variations of pedals/cleats but these will either be of a two bolt or three bolt fitting on the shoe.

It's a chicken and egg knowing whether to get shoes or pedals first, as one will obviously have to match the other. IMO unless you are looking at 'serious cycling' (AKA competitive) then stick to two bolt cleats/SPD pedals

Edit: have a read of this - http://www.wheelies.co.uk/blog/the-spd-pedal-explained/

That's great, thank you! When it comes to the these shoes:-

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/22319/pro...ogle&utm_content=None&utm_campaign=PriceComp1

Do these have the option of both two and three bolts?

Cubist

Still wavin'
BB - Can I be honest? They look horrific :rolleyes: Come on, I'm still a 'lady' after all!
high-heel-cycling-shoes-600x450.jpg

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

Hi Boardgirl. Unless I'm reading this wrong then at the minute you've got normal pedals with toe clips? If so, don't forget to factor in the cost of new pedals to suit the clipless method you opt for.

Eek! Erm no I think I'm ready to go with the pedals I've got? They are really small and have like a plastic bit where you can slide your foot in and there is a strap that detaches from it. That's how they've come?

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

Hahahahahaha! Clearly that's what I need to get ^_^

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

They're two bolt only, which does give the widest range of pedals

Oh right ok. I don't know what to do now. I'm not looking to do competitions but would be doing 20 miles plus rides with the aim of doing 100+ when I'm ready? Would those shoes be ok?

D

Deleted member 23692

Yes they'll be perfect. I use a similar recessed cleat shoe with these (SPD) pedals on my road bike...

item.JPG

(they're Shimano M530 pedals)

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

Yes they'll be perfect. I use a similar recessed cleat shoe with these (SPD) pedals on my road bike...

item.JPG

(they're Shimano M530 pedals)

Ok cool. I've just had a look at the description on those shoes and it does say they're compatible with SPD and SPD-SL?

Top Bottom