Going clipless...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

I'm a tad biased (owning some M530s) but I do like double side ones - purely because whatever side of the pedal is upwards I can clip in - it just one less thing to worry about :smile: If I was bothered about every little gram I'd probably go for single sided ones. The A600 are within a few grams of Shimano's top end SPD-SL pedals, so they really are high end

As for falling off at the lights - you will, that is a given! The only question is when it will happen. It's known as a 'clipless moment' and comes to us all at some time

Ohh ok, so which ones are single sided? I'm getting a bit confused now :wacko:

Haha! Noooooooooo it just can't happen.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh and I don't know iof Sigma sell cost effective SPD shoes - they are very road oriented and pretty top end... their cheapest bike for example is about £800

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

The pedals? They do look different, but as I say, I don't think anyone looks at pedals! The important bit is getting out of them quickly when some motorist slams on their brakes or pulls out in front of you! :wacko:

Haha! Yeah totally, I think this is going to be a big change for me as I'm so used to just having my feet free :blink:

vickster

Legendary Member
Some pedals have the bit you clip into on both sides, like the M520 and 530, some have a flat side so you can ride in trainers and a clip in side. These are a pain in my experience (I have on my commuter), the pedal is NEVER the right way round regardless of which pair of shoes you are wearing and you lose momentum trying to flip the pedal round!!

There is no rule that says you have to ride on clipless pedals, you could have normal flat pedals

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

Oh and I don't know iof Sigma sell cost effective SPD shoes - they are very road oriented and pretty top end... their cheapest bike for example is about £800

In that case, I'm just going to buy those WR35s. I actually don't want to have them trying to sell me something I can't afford anyway, I'd rather just get what I really need from a store as like you say, the cost is so much more.

D

Deleted member 23692

Ohh ok, so which ones are single sided? I'm getting a bit confused now :wacko:

Haha! Noooooooooo it just can't happen.
1 & 2 are double, 3 & 4 are single. Single sided ones tend to top heavy so the clip side will roll to the bottom when you unclip. You'll have to perfect flipping them over with your foot as you clip in. The technique isn't much different from that for the pedals you have already.

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

Some pedals have the bit you clip into on both sides, like the M520 and 530, some have a flat side so you can ride in trainers and a clip in side. These are a pain in my experience (I have on my commuter), the pedal is NEVER the right way round regardless of which pair of shoes you are wearing and you lose momentum trying to flip the pedal round!!

There is no rule that says you have to ride on clipless pedals, you could have normal flat pedals

Ohh ok. Yeah I can imagine that'd be annoying.

I just wanted to do it properly and get the best from myself and my bike really. I can't stand the peddles that came with my bike because my trainers are too big to even try and slide into the plastic holder thing and I've taken the straps off so I definitely need to get new pedals. I couldn't find any small lightweight trainers online so thought it'd be better to get the proper shoes, that's all.

vickster

Legendary Member
Single sided ones tend to top heavy so the clip side will roll to the bottom when you unclip. You'll have to perfect flipping them over with your foot as you clip in. The technique isn't much different from that for the pedals you have already.
My experience is completely the opposite. I have the weird Shimano pedals with the resin flat side!

vickster

Legendary Member
Ohh ok. Yeah I can imagine that'd be annoying.

I just wanted to do it properly and get the best from myself and my bike really. I can't stand the peddles that came with my bike because my trainers are too big to even try and slide into the plastic holder thing and I've taken the straps off so I definitely need to get new pedals. I couldn't find any small lightweight trainers online so thought it'd be better to get the proper shoes, that's all.

Fair enough - in road cycling however there is no 'properly', only 'snobbery' :laugh:

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

1 & 2 are double, 3 & 4 are single. Single sided ones tend to top heavy so the clip side will roll to the bottom when you unclip. You'll have to perfect flipping them over with your foot as you clip in. The technique isn't much different from that for the pedals you have already.

Ok gotcha! Yeah it's all making so much more sense now. I can just imagine this being a total disaster!! :laugh:

Also, so if I get those pedals and those shoes. What about the cleat bit?

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

Fair enough - in road cycling however there is no 'properly', only 'snobbery' :laugh:

Haha! See this is just it...I'm a bit of a snob and I don't like not having the best I can get. I'd be going out with people that have all the right kit so if I'm slower than them I'll get really annoyed!! Lol.

Ohh so many decisions.

vickster

Legendary Member
Haha! See this is just it...I'm a bit of a snob and I don't like not having the best I can get. I'd be going out with people that have all the right kit so if I'm slower than them I'll get really annoyed!! Lol.
Oh dear :rolleyes: You need £300 shoes and £200 pedals then and a 10k bike, better take the Boardman back to Halfords :tongue:

D

Deleted member 23692

My experience is completely the opposite. I have the weird Shimano pedals with the resin flat side!
I was wishfully playing with some A600s in the LBS at the weekend and they gracefully inverted every time I flicked thme round. It's such a lovely smooth bearing in them :smile:

Top Bottom