Going clipless...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

Check Wiggle for High5 energy products. They come with free water bottles etc etc, often good deals available

I'll have a look. Have to say, I have the most awesome water bottle, it actually keeps my drink at the perfect cold temperature all the way :popcorn:

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

Oh and forgive me for being thick. How come I'm able to use these WR35s with the A600s if I chose to go down that route? Because they are SPDs? They have come under that link as 'Roadless Pedals' :shy:

vickster

Legendary Member
Much of it is common sense really and talking to the guys at the bike shop ;)

Quite tempted by those pedals while Evans are doing free fitting

vickster

Legendary Member
Depends on the shop. Most should do it for free when you buy the pedals and shoes...otherwise, probably £20 maybe? Can't your cycling expert friends help?

vickster

Legendary Member
I'll have a look. Have to say, I have the most awesome water bottle, it actually keeps my drink at the perfect cold temperature all the way :popcorn:
Not really needed in the current temperatures ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
At risk of sounding smug, I have the A600 pedals, and they are very lovely. The A520 are nice, just a bit heavier, with not quite such a nice build quality, but lovely nevertheless. I bought them because I ride MTB more than road, so wanted to be able to wear the same MTB shoes on the roadbike. Advantage is of course that you can walk with the recessed SPD cleats.

The cleats come with the pedals by the way. .

Are the a600s £30 better than the a520s?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Oh and forgive me for being thick. How come I'm able to use these WR35s with the A600s if I chose to go down that route? Because they are SPDs? They have come under that link as 'Roadless Pedals' :shy:
The shoes are SPD compatible only, billed as Touring shoes. SPD pedal cleats only have two bolts, which fit through the slots in the sole of the shoe into a threaded mounting plate between the insole and the outsole.

The pedals are billed as touring pedals, and work on a SPD mechanism. The cleat clicks into the sprung jaws in the middle of the pedal, and the metal cage surround provides contact area for the sole of the shoe around the cleat.

They are designed for road or touring bikes, but are not actually a road pedal, nor do the cleats fit a road shoe.

You can get cheap SPD pedals like the PD M520 which are simple, but look crap on a roadbike, and if you ask me are cheap for a reason. The caged surround of the A600 above makes it easier to get away from the lights and a better target to clip into.

An alternative would be a Trail SPD like an PD M530, or it's slightly more expensive stablemate the M785. They are a double-sided SPD pedal, primarily designed for of-road riding, but have a clip in mechanism on both sides. I have XT PD M785 pedals on my mountainbikes.
003.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
I would need to buy in store and get them fitted, so won't be able to buy them at the cheapest price :smile:

I have the m520s on my carbon bike, they look ok, very small and unobtrusive. Can't see them with my clumpy shoes attached :whistle:

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

Depends on the shop. Most should do it for free when you buy the pedals and shoes...otherwise, probably £20 maybe? Can't your cycling expert friends help?

I've just realised I've got like a care plan with the bike I've got so they will probably do it if I take it down there. Yeah my friends could probably do it too. Need to do some asking around ;)

Top Bottom