Going clipless...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

I would need to buy in store and get them fitted, so won't be able to buy them at the cheapest price :smile:

I have the m520s on my carbon bike, they look ok, very small and unobtrusive. Can't see them with my clumpy shoes attached :whistle:

I think as I'm starting out I'll get the M530s. Seems a fair compromise and gives me the ease of being able to use both sides which is probably better for me whilst I'm getting used to them :bravo:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Weight and build quality, possibly. I found some for about £50. :whistle:
£51.99 at Pedal-On.

I would need to buy in store and get them fitted, so won't be able to buy them at the cheapest price :smile:

I have the m520s on my carbon bike, they look ok, very small and unobtrusive. Can't see them with my clumpy shoes attached :whistle:

You need a 6 or possibly 8mm Allen key and you can do it yourself. It's no mystery.

D

Deleted member 23692

Are the a600s £30 better than the a520s?
Apart from a slightly different platform design, the main difference between the two is the cartridge bearing - A520's have plastic cartridge shell (same a M520 and M530), and the A600 have a metal one. The clipping mechanism is the same.

Cubist - as I also have a white/black/green Cube road bike, you may have remotely opened my wallet by posting that last photo :sad:

Cubist

Still wavin'

Take a print out of pedal on's page with them at £51.99 and ask Evans to price match. ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
I would need to buy the pedal spanner, I also still have poor strength in one arm due to tennis elbow surgery so can struggle to undo stuff and I am also pretty mechanically inept (I'd end up losing an eye or a hand or something)!

Price match might be a good way to go but then no free fitting I think (Evans online price is also lower - £72 vs £65)!

They don't match pedal-on either http://www.evanscycles.com/help/price-match

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

Apart from a slightly different platform design, the main difference between the two is the cartridge bearing - A520's have plastic cartridge shell (same a M520 and M530), and the A600 have a metal one. The clipping mechanism is the same.

Cubist - as I also have a white/black/green Cube road bike, you may have remotely opened my wallet by posting that last photo :sad:

Does it make a lot of difference having a metal one other than I guess being stronger?

D

Deleted member 23692

I'd say it's a production cost difference, as moulded plastic is far cheaper to mas produce than mached metal parts. Metal will obviously be stronger but the forces needed to destroy a plastic one will far more than most folk can generate through normal cycling. The bearings themselves have all metal parts, so it's not a longevity issue. The pedals themselves are cheap enough to replace should they eventually die.

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

I'd say it's a production cost difference, as moulded plastic is far cheaper to mas produce than mached metal parts. Metal will obviously be stronger but the forces needed to destroy a plastic one will far more than most folk can generate through normal cycling. The bearings themselves have all metal parts, so it's not a longevity issue. The pedals themselves are cheap enough to replace should they eventually die.

Yeah I see what you mean. I think I'll get the M530's and see how they are.

On the shoe front, are these in any way similar to the Shimano WR35's that were mentioned earlier?

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/22317/products/shimano-rt32-spd-road-touring-shoes-black.aspx

Top Bottom