Going Clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richard A Thackeray

Legendary Member
Not all metal- cleat SPD type pedals are double-sided. And SLs are weighted or balanced so that they hang "right side up" anyway..

Yes, I realise that those, like LOOK, are weighted, but even after using LOOK (& the Shimano derivatives, then, subsequently, 'Keo') since about 1991, I still sometimes fail to engage on the first attempt, pulling away from traffic-lights, etc..., when I'm on my Ridley, or Gran Fondo

J1888

Über Member
Yes, I realise that those, like LOOK, are weighted, but even after using LOOK (& the Shimano derivatives, then, subsequently, 'Keo') since about 1991, I still sometimes fail to engage on the first attempt, pulling away from traffic-lights, etc..., when I'm on my Ridley, or Gran Fondo

I was concerned about this myself, but have found that after a year of using 2 sided spds, then going to SPD-SL, it's been fine - haven't had any major problems slipping into the SLs (touch wood, only about 4 months in)

Richard A Thackeray

Legendary Member
This business of walking in shoes with protuding metal cleats is not an issue for neither Mrs A nor Jane. They do not get on a bike to walk about. Neither do I. We are leisure cyclists, not shoppers.
Try walking on the floor of a Hospital, with unrecessed cleats, after a NHS cleaner has just finished buffing/polishing it....

They may be forgiving with patients/visitors, but staff....................................

One A&E Consultant I know, who rides in, out of fear, takes his shoes off at the ambulance entrance doors!

I think he's seen too many 'inserted object' x-rays (as have I), to risk a mop handle

I doubt whether any of them are much of a problem (pedals/cleats that is). My original intention in telling the story above was to warn about cheap shoes. Much more of a problem than what cleats are to be preferred.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I doubt whether any of them are much of a problem (pedals/cleats that is). My original intention in telling the story above was to warn about cheap shoes. Much more of a problem than what cleats are to be preferred.
But your original story discussed both cheap shoes and cleat choice then asked for advice did it not?
The OP is new to clipless pedals so I felt it important to discuss the pitfalls of non recessed metal cleats so he could make a more educated choice.

Richard A Thackeray

Legendary Member
Yes, there is one place we go for coffee - a golf club in fact - with nice floors. The golfers take their shoes off and so do we.
I've just thought about a winter fell-race I did
I'd taken a spare pair of shoes, just in case, the organisers stated there maybe ice on parts (& there was), so I wore the spares
2013 'Stanbury Splash'
Afterwards, the 5 of us that had travelled up together, in one car, called in a café at Keelham (near Denholme Gate), & as I walked in, I could hear a rhythmic metallic clicking, noise
The heads of staff & customers turned to look at us

Well, me in particular, due to wearing Inov-8 'OROC 340'

Tungsten carbide studs:blush:

2013. Stanbury Splash. 15.JPG Kit. 2013. Inov-8. OROC 340. 2.JPG Kit. 2013. Inov-8. OROC 340. 3.JPG

Top Bottom