Going downhill, turning right, signalling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wmtlynx

How does one perfect the art of this? I can signal quite easily in most situations, but this one has me stuck. My main concern is a closely following vehicle overtaking when I begin a turn. My only manoeuvre locally involves Keep Left Bollards, which should in theory keep people from trying their luck as I make eye contact and block them off using primary position. But I'd rather be able to signal more clearly with my arm without veering across the path of a vehicle. Some of you must face this scenario, so how do you get on?

* Larry the lorry barked something about indicating during said manouvre earlier. At the time I was most concerned with not allowing him past, and thought a signal would encourage an undertake. And on a blind bend, had something come the other way , could have used up a body bag.

Pauluk

I'm not sure I understand the problem clearly but surely you check over your shoulder for the absence of a close vehicle then indicate right, then check again and if its clear behind move over to the centre while indicating. Wait in the centre of the road for absence of oncoming vehicles then turn. If you're in the centre of the road I think you can expect people to pass on your left.

Sorry, not sure I understand the problem, its getting late :laugh:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I do understand the problem clearly :smile: but I can't help, as I haven't mastered it either.
I think you need to be really balanced and confident the traffic behind will let you pass. For some strange reason, I find the manouvre much easier if I'm going uphill.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

Like all things, you plan ahead. You know where the junction is, you know the speed you need to do to make the turn, you know when you need to be in position.

I find that lots of slight turns of the head inform the following vehicle that I have my eye on them and that I'm about to do something.

400bhp

Guru
No right or wrong answer TBH - there's a more right answer than wrong.

If you can, could you find a different route to avoid that right turn?

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod

400bhp

Guru
I've been meaning to ask this too. The problem I have is when there's a tight left turn down a steep hill and I need to turn right at the end of the road where there are some of those bastard slippery block paving doobries. My current method is to adopt primary very early on and then feather the brakes till I've slowed right down well in advance of the turn. I might be slowing down traffic but at least I'm able to signal clearly, and, yer know, stay alive.

Very sensible IMO:thumbsup:

I wouldn't even worry about signalling-keep em guessing is arguably less likely to get someone overtaking you at the last minute.

biking_fox

Guru
Indicate before changing lane, then hands back on the bars in full control whilst you do so, and stay on the bars until you've made the turn. There's no need to indicate once you've pulled across to the middle as that position indicates your intensions clearly. Cars will pass inside you, disturbing but not dangerous.

400bhp

Guru
Indicate before changing lane, then hands back on the bars in full control whilst you do so, and stay on the bars until you've made the turn. There's no need to indicate once you've pulled across to the middle as that position indicates your intensions clearly. Cars will pass inside you, disturbing but not dangerous.

The OP didn't mention 2 lanes.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I have the same problem on a hill on my way home. It's always dusty or muddy and covered with gravel and the steepest, sketchiest bit is just as you make the right turn.
Luckily it's a very quiet road and I usually get by with very briefly poking my arm out before getting back on the brakes again and hoping it gets noticed. I then can indicate better once I've just started the turn.

Still didn't prevent a woman from trying to overtake me despite me being almost over the centre line last week and then screaming abuse at me :wacko:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I've been meaning to ask this too. The problem I have is when there's a tight left turn down a steep hill and I need to turn right at the end of the road where there are some of those bastard slippery block paving doobries. My current method is to adopt primary very early on and then feather the brakes till I've slowed right down well in advance of the turn. I might be slowing down traffic but at least I'm able to signal clearly, and, yer know, stay alive.
Honestly, cyclists. Just self self self.

OP
OP
wmtlynx

wmtlynx

Thanks for the advice. I shall continue practising. Still under 1000 miles, most of it is easy stuff on my commute.

Top Bottom