Going leaner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purple7424

Hi,
I have Trek 8.3 DS, Gary Fisher collection - https://www.crankys.ca/product/trek-8.3-ds-gary-fisher-collection-3418.htm
After few years of riding it, I want to make it run faster and easier on road - Like a Road bike.
I want to start with wheels.
Bontrager AT-750 is current set of rim - 622X19 and original fitted tire was 700X38C
Can I go with 700X25 or 28 tire or it would not fit?
Any recommendations for tube spec
Current one is with Schrader valve...is it necessary to go with Presta?

weareHKR

I want to make it run faster and easier on road - Like a Road bike.
That statement is very debatable, chances are you won't notice the difference!

current set of rim - 622X19 and original fitted tire was 700X38C
Can I go with 700X25 or 28
Yes either
Any recommendations for tube spec
Current one is with Schrader valve...is it necessary to go with Presta?
Get the correct tube for whichever tyre you choose, the valve type will depend on what the rim is designed for, Presta valve is much narrower than the Schrader! I think the Presta is 6mm & the Schrader is 8mm.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You could fit something around 30c and run it at a higher pressure. 25c might be too narrow for your rims. I don't know your rim width. Gains would be marginal.
You could also probably use your existing tubes.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
That statement is very debatable, chances are you won't notice the difference!

A suspension fork hybrid with flat bars is never going to be fast in a million years, no matter what wheels and tyres are on it. Trying to turn it into a road bike is a complete waste of time, money, and effort. I don't even use suspension off road because of the extra weight and drag, never mind on tarmac.
The first things to change would be the forks, followed by the bars - not the wheels.
If you want something that takes less effort to ride and is quicker, buy something designed for road use not trails.

si_c

Guru
The current consensus with tyres is that wider is not necessarily slower. A good pair of slick tyres in 32 to 35mm width would reduce the rolling resistance on your current bike to somewhere in the ballpark of an all-road/commuter road bike, this will make the bike feel nimbler and go faster but it won't get close to a road bike as a result of the inefficiencies and added weight of a front suspension setup and the upright position you ride in affecting the aerodynamics.

You won't get close to fully rigid hybrid or road bike speeds for the same effort on that bike, it's not it's intended purpose.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The current consensus with tyres is that wider is not necessarily slower. A good pair of slick tyres in 32 to 35mm width would reduce the rolling resistance on your current bike to somewhere in the ballpark of an all-road/commuter road bike, this will make the bike feel nimbler and go faster but it won't get close to a road bike as a result of the inefficiencies and added weight of a front suspension setup and the upright position you ride in affecting the aerodynamics.

You won't get close to fully rigid hybrid or road bike speeds for the same effort on that bike, it's not it's intended purpose.
^^^This.

And don't do anything else to it, changing bars ad forks is going to cost a lot of money for not much gain . If its still not road bike enough for you, buy a road bike.

OP
OP
P

purple7424

Thanks for your inputs and clearly stating what can't be achieved.
Now I understand that, matching a Road-bike is impossible with changes what I was planning and will not even bring any visible improvements in gains / speed.
Now, I will start exploring options for a decent Road-bike
Thanks again.

si_c

Guru
Now I understand that, matching a Road-bike is impossible with changes what I was planning and will not even bring any visible improvements in gains / speed.
Thanks again.
You'll definitely notice some gains upgrading to good quality slick tyres over the stock all road tyres, but it definitely won't be what you were hoping for. Good luck with finding a road bike 👍

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thanks again.

Always worth having more than one bike. Hybrid for rough stuff, road bike for road.

Top Bottom