Going to a gym for upper body fitness.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Dunno about on the bike, but it sure helps lugging it up stairs, over railway bridges, over gates, etc. :bravo:

Crankarm

Guru
2nd chin ups. Really good for building core strength and grip. I do 15 on each lap of the huge playing fields I run around, 6-8 laps (5-6 miles)depending on how I'm feeling. Also when I get home do press ups 50 and squat thrusts 50 plus 50 crunches - straight and cross over plus touching one's heals 50 each 150 in total. Also do stretching exercises - legs, hips, back and upper body, arms, neck. Neck press and bicep curls twice a week 20 each with free weights about 30kg. Plus commute by bike 25-30 miles most days. Weekend ride 70-80 miles weather permitting.:laugh:

Never been to a gym, can't think of anything worse tbh. I like fresh air not the smell of sweaty smelly bodies crammed in a small room ...... brings back bad memories of sports days at school.

Another tip - buy a couple of bags of cement 25kg I think or 4 or 5 paving slabs which are very heavy. Practice lifting the back of cement or sand above your head 10 times.

lukesdad said:
Open water swimming good for toning and its cheap.

I am 53 and I have membership at the Welsh National Pool £14.50 a month, swim fit; it tones your upper body and improves your cardio vascular. It’s also non impact, less chance of injury. Unless you try drinking the pool:wacko::laugh:

darkstar

I tried the gym for a while (3 month free contract) and to be honest, the swimming pool was the facility i used most. I find cardio pointless in there and as for weights, i hated waiting to use a bench...

Now i try to work upper body every two days, pull ups, push ups, plank, duobell curls and flys. Nice and simple.

lukesdad

Bay Runner said:
I am 53 and I have membership at the Welsh National Pool £14.50 a month, swim fit; it tones your upper body and improves your cardio vascular. It’s also non impact, less chance of injury. Unless you try drinking the pool:wacko::laugh:

I might try it bit cold in the sea right now do you go during the day what s the best time.

jimboalee

There are two reasons why cyclists do arms and shoulder training.

1/ To be able to roll a tyre on a rim with their bare hands, and

2/ To be able to use a Hex wrench.

Crimmey

I have to agree with jimboalee. I stopped weights as I found it hindered my performance and cardio training. Swimming is good, it wont build muscle ( or negligible amounts) but gets the upper body used to 'repetitive strains' I have swam for 20 years, theres no 'toning' of specific areas involved just fat loss generally and maybe increased lung capacity.

lukesdad said:
I might try it bit cold in the sea right now do you go during the day what s the best time.

I am shift work and I manage to get down the pool week day mornings 1/2 8 - 9 oclock.

Plenty of lane space, not sure about the rest of the time. I have been down on the weekends now and again and it is a bit busier

lukesdad

Crimmey said:
I have to agree with jimboalee. I stopped weights as I found it hindered my performance and cardio training. Swimming is good, it wont build muscle ( or negligible amounts) but gets the upper body used to 'repetitive strains' I have swam for 20 years, theres no 'toning' of specific areas involved just fat loss generally and maybe increased lung capacity.

Totally agree I ve swum for 40 years competively when I was younger. It keeps you supple and teaches you to use your lungs properly.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I find swimming so boring. 30mins is enough. Cardio in the gym is boring as well but at least you can watch the telly or plug the ipod in. My gym is very bright and huge with a good lively atmosphere, nothing like the the small sweaty sweatshop somebody described. And you can have a chat and a laugh with the regular crowd. Plus it includes the pool and I enjoy the jacuzzi and sauna after a workout. I accept the fact that I don't have the motivation or discipline to work out at home. I also love to be outside but this winter has really been a test. Upper body weight training is good for bone density at my age as well. I don't lift massive weights for mass, just enough to maintain a good overall strengh and fitness. I don't want the obsessive skinny cyclist physique that you sometimes see.

montage

God Almighty
Doing a bit of gym work at the moment whilst off the bike...although boring at first, I have now decided to ditch all high reps/low weights and go for big weight compound moves, and it gets a little more interesting when you start measuring improvements in the amount of weight you can throw around - also noticing huge strength improvements working out like this....a month ago I was struggling with benching 60kg, now I am struggling on 85kg :becool: Not that this helps cycling much..

jimboalee

montage said:
Doing a bit of gym work at the moment whilst off the bike...although boring at first, I have now decided to ditch all high reps/low weights and go for big weight compound moves, and it gets a little more interesting when you start measuring improvements in the amount of weight you can throw around - also noticing huge strength improvements working out like this....a month ago I was struggling with benching 60kg, now I am struggling on 85kg :biggrin: Not that this helps cycling much..

Wait till you have to roll a new tyre on. :biggrin:

I am trying to build up upper body strength too - mostly so I can throw my 2 year-old around when he wants me to.

I've started doing 12-15 press-ups every time I go to the toilet at work. I don't know whether it's working but it feels like it. I need to put the chinning bar back up and get the dumbbells back out. I don't have time for a gym so fitting it in like this is a good option for me.

Top Bottom