Going to a gym for upper body fitness.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Anybody done this? I'm skinny (6' and 11 1/2 stone) but used to do weights 20 years ago and managed to get my arms and shoulders into good shape without becoming bulky. Now at 53 the testosterone is diminishing and that lean muscle has gone or turned to fat. My bum and hips are getting fatter too, which irks me. I believe it will give me an advantage in cycling if the muscles of the arms, shoulders and chest are well toned so that I expend less effort in maintaining my position on the bike. From a purely aesthetic p.o.v. I'd like to improve the muscle definition of my upper body and firm up the moobs, as well as trim the hips, stomach and bum, which will happen as I burn off fat.

So this weekend I'm going to go and search out a local Joe Bloggs gym, where I can pay per session as I used to. Has anybody done this for cycling and what were your experiences, health and body-wise?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Cheap and easy, put in a chin up bar somewhere, ideal is upstairs en route to toilet. Concentrate on using it as frequently as possible, for no more than 5 reps. Once a week really try to do your maximum, start off with palms facing you grip, when you get stronger switch the grip. Don't worry if you can't even manage one to start with, just hanging from bar and making the effort will see progress.

Plus it can double as an extra hanging rail:biggrin:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I did it for nearly a Year.
It definately improved tone and I felt better, and stronger overall.
Can't say it definately helped with cycling but I dare say it did.

Gave it up in the end as I got fed up with the posers as well as a change of job location made it harder to get to a gym.

Good luck finding a Joe Bloggs gym, most of them have closed here, a leisure centre with a fitness suite is the next best thing but full this time of year.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to go to a really rough and ready place called Silver's Gym in Bury; it was £1.75 a session and in winter the place was freezing. It was popular with serious body builders but I enjoyed it and felt really good for it too.

Chin-ups are fine but don't exercise all the muscle groups in an even way.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Globalti said:
Chin-ups are fine but don't exercise all the muscle groups in an even way.

they'll give you more than anything else and you can add in some 'pushing' within doorframes, round off with a pair of dumbells and you're good to go.

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
Globalti said:
Anybody done this? I'm skinny (6' and 11 1/2 stone) but used to do weights 20 years ago and managed to get my arms and shoulders into good shape without becoming bulky. Now at 53 the testosterone is diminishing and that lean muscle has gone or turned to fat. My bum and hips are getting fatter too, which irks me. I believe it will give me an advantage in cycling if the muscles of the arms, shoulders and chest are well toned so that I expend less effort in maintaining my position on the bike. From a purely aesthetic p.o.v. I'd like to improve the muscle definition of my upper body and firm up the moobs, as well as trim the hips, stomach and bum, which will happen as I burn off fat.

So this weekend I'm going to go and search out a local Joe Bloggs gym, where I can pay per session as I used to. Has anybody done this for cycling and what were your experiences, health and body-wise?

I took the more expensive route of joining my nearest David Lloyd club and have occassional personal trainer sessions thrown in too. I'm 51 and trying to do the same as you but to also lose some of the weight I've put on since I retired a year ago. The advantage I've found of going out to a gym rather than working out at home is that I have the incentive to actually get out and do it and not put it off. I've been concentrating on doing lots of 'core' exercises and using some of the weights machines, and of course taking advantage of the numerous cycling and cross training contraptions.
Plus I get to have a swim and a steam afterwards and there's an outdoor pool for when I feel brave.

It's not cheap but I go often to make full use of my subscription, and after a couple of months I've certainly toned up a bit and feel much better. Next thing on the 'to do list' is to get a recumbent trike and hopefully see the end of back pain!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
That would be an easy way to do it.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I've been going to a gym/swimming pool for about four years now. Really helped me to get rid of the extra pounds. Not sure if it actually helps with the cycling although I get a few extra miles on the bike as I cycle there - only bugger that does apart from the cleaner!

Regarding cost, I think it's fairly cheap if you use it a lot - expensive if you pay for membership and never use it - plenty of them about, the new year resolutionists are already thinning out...

i've been weight training once or twice a week for about 10 years, as well as riding the bike. I think it helps a lot especially on longer rides, when others are knackered in the arms and shoulders i've always been ok.
i'm lucky though i've got my own weights bench/gym in the spare room.
i'd add press ups to the chin ups for a more balanced work out.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I lack the willpower to do exercises at home; I need the atmosphere of a gym to get me motivated, as well as the fact that I've paid cash.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I used to go to a really rough and ready place called Silver's Gym in Bury;
I used to go there as well.
I now use one of the big fancy gyms. Love it. Been great to get some cardio in as well this winter while the snow has kept me off the bike. I think they are great value for money if you use them regularly. It has certainly helped my knee problem as you can target specific muscle groups that were causing me a problem on the bike. Core muscle exercises like squats certainly made me stronger on the bike. :evil:

Top Bottom