Gone for a Cervelo S3 instead of a Litespeed C1 or De Rosa SuperKing 888

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Hypothetically (because I've managed to shrink him using my shrink ray gun) my youngest needs a new race bike, or at least he will in the next 6 months. I've seen a couple that are close to our budget:

A Litespeed C1, or
A De Rosa SuperKing 888

The Litespeed's cheaper but with Ultregra and the De Rosa's got 105. The actual groupset's not a major issue, nor are the wheels, so I'm interested in views on the framesets. However Litespeed carbon frames don't have much written about them. Also the De Rosa appears to be a less of a pure race bike. He is preferring the Litespeed at present.

Any thoughts? If there's an alternative it's got to be available for someone around 5 feet tall and under £2k - or SWMBO will kill me!

Last edited:

S-Express

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

@Elybazza61 - nice but it looks at little heavy at 8.1kg. I'm OK working on bikes - the work on his current Argon Krypton 18 6.8kg race bike was between the LBS and myself - and we're looking at sub 7kg fully set up for the next one.

Second-hand's a possible option and with the budget there's likely to be a good choice. We're looking ...

S-Express

I wouldn't get too hung up on the weight. Unless he's riding the IoM (which is only one event out of the season anyway), the majority of other youth events are likely to be flat circuits where weight won't really be a factor.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I've always said I wish my TCR was my TT machine ( before i bought the Trinity) If i was to race crits i would be more than happy doing it on the TCR !

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

I wouldn't get too hung up on the weight. Unless he's riding the IoM (which is only one event out of the season anyway), the majority of other youth events are likely to be flat circuits where weight won't really be a factor.

I've always said I wish my TCR was my TT machine ( before i bought the Trinity) If i was to race crits i would be more than happy doing it on the TCR !

@Cuchilo - he's an old (2004) TCR Composite with TT fork as a training bike and this is great for winter/training. He uses it for club runs to keep pace with the adults but it doesn't have youth gearing as a result.

@S-Express - we're in Yorkshire, and it's hilly unfortunately. Four of the five local circuits being used by the White Rose Youth League this year have hills as part of the circuit and he's doing IoM this year hopefully. Weight also helps because he's tiny in comparison to most U14's; 5 foot and weighs under 40kg.

Last edited:

S-Express

@S-Express - we're in Yorkshire, and it's hilly unfortunately. Four of the five local circuits have hills as part of the circuit and he's doing IoM this year hopefully. Weight also helps because he's tiny in comparison to most U14's; 5 foot and weighs under 40kg.

So are the lads that win races on particularly light bikes then? The weight might give you a marginal advantage, but it probably isn't the benefit you might think it is. I know a tiny U16 who has no issues getting consistent top 3 finishes, riding a Propel, I think, so not the lightest of bikes.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
That is a lot of money to spend on a bike which he is likely to outgrow when he has a growth spurt. Having said that he does sound like a promising young cyclist and therefore an investment in his future.
They are both stunning looking bikes but the Litespeed edges it for me on looks and spec.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

That is a lot of money to spend on a bike which he is likely to outgrow when he has a growth spurt. Having said that he does sound like a promising young cyclist and therefore an investment in his future.
They are both stunning looking bikes but the Litespeed edges it for me on looks and spec.

Thanks - and true it's a lot. We'd have the Argon to sell which should cover well over half of the purchase cost.

What surprises me is the range of top-end bikes racing in U12's and below: Propel's are quite common alongside a range of bikes above our budget including Storck, Pinarello and Venge's that are used.

S-Express

What surprises me is the range of top-end bikes racing in U12's and below: Propel's are quite common alongside a range of bikes above our budget including Storck, Pinarello and Venge's that are used.

Friend of ours took an U14 national title last season riding a mid-range aluminium Felt with old 9-speed kit. Let the others have their Pinarellos and Venges if they want.

Top Bottom