Good enough?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

emmyG71

I've been riding a Scott Speedster Contessa road bike for about 3 years but fancied an 'up-grade' so I decided to treat myself to a Liv Langma Pro-disc 2. It is undoubtedly a lovely bike, but after hearing what other people say about it I'm beginning to wonder if it might be too good for me, or rather if I am not good enough for it! I generally cycle in my local cycling club, averaging about 15 mph at the moment, although I am trying to work up to cycle with faster, more experienced groups. I don't have a lot of confidence when it comes to taking corners fast and taking my hands off to signal, etc.
Should I stick with the racing bike and just practice, or accept the fact that I'm just an amateur and sell it?!

vickster

Legendary Member
Why does it matter if you enjoy it? Practice, maybe get some coaching if you want to compete?

I've been riding a Scott Speedster Contessa road bike for about 3 years but fancied an 'up-grade' so I decided to treat myself to a Liv Langma Pro-disc 2. It is undoubtedly a lovely bike, but after hearing what other people say about it I'm beginning to wonder if it might be too good for me, or rather if I am not good enough for it! I generally cycle in my local cycling club, averaging about 15 mph at the moment, although I am trying to work up to cycle with faster, more experienced groups. I don't have a lot of confidence when it comes to taking corners fast and taking my hands off to signal, etc.
Should I stick with the racing bike and just practice, or accept the fact that I'm just an amateur and sell it?!
If you like it, that’s all that matters, keep it. If you get bent out of shape about keeping up with clubbies, there are other types of cycling. Obsessing about speeds is really not advisable, you’ll only ever end up dissatisfied. Unless you’re competing in actual races, there’s no point really.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Like @vickster said, if you enjoy it that's all that matters.
I'd bet my life that most forum members here have bikes that haven't been pushed to their limits because the owners just aren't tough/fit/enthusiastic/mental enough to push those limits.
I know my own bike with the right owner could take him/her touring around the world without too much trouble. I also know in my hands, it'll never leave the UK.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If you can afford it and like it then go for it , plenty of people faster and slower than me on bikes that cost a lot more.Its abouthaving fun not getting to worried about club snobbery.
As for cycling ability thats just down to practice and technique, one tip i found was when you corner and are not pedalling push down on the outer pedal, also look what lines other riders use , ask advice at your club etc .
https://www.liv-cycling.com/global/...ntent/feature/217155-11-tips-better-cornering

ozboz

Guru
I bought at basement bargain half price carbon road bike with racing spec Ultegra set up ,brakes , derailleur etc , when I got it the shop owner said ‘ enjoy it ‘ his discerning eye telling him I would never push it to it’s full potential, his o’oppo’ assistant however stated I would ‘Fly on it !’ I was fairly quick with my response to him was ‘ the only time I fly on this is if I go over a cliff edge !!!’’
But I get a lot of buzz whilst out and about on it , my max ride was about 75-80 miles earlier this year , if I hadn’t of got lost it would have been 50 miles !
Anyway , as all have said ‘enjoy the ride!!!!!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was looking at pretty expensive bikes in the late 1990s (£2,000+) but spent a lot of time thinking that I would wait until I was 'good enough' to need/deserve one. Eventually though, it dawned on me that I probably would never be that good/deserving... In the end I decided that having a nice bike would encourage me to ride more so it was worth me buying one. I didn't need to spend as much as I did but I got a lot of pleasure riding that Bianchi.

If you want a nice bike and can afford it without defaulting on your mortgage or starving your children, why not treat yourself! :okay:

12boy

Guru
Good to set goals as long as they don't reduce your enjoyment. Sometimes they will get my ponderous buttocks off the couch and onto the bike, up my sedate pace until it begins to be an effort, or I climb a hill I thought would be horrible only to find it only moderately painful. In fact more than once I've screamed at the hill when on top "I own you, you (expletive of choice)."
Having said that I also enjoy what my friends call gentleman rides.... just fast enough to be a little more work than usual, but slow enough to allow for conversation, with the odd stop for a drink or a whiz. Variety is the spice of life.

13 rider

Guru
Don't worry about the bike just enjoy it . I ride a bike that's probably faster then me but it's made me a tad faster and I love riding it that what matters . Don't let other people opinions put you off . Just ride and enjoy and confidence and a bit more speed will come . Don't get fixated with getting faster it will suck your enjoyment out of riding just enjoy the ride
Nice bike by the way

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@emmyG71 what's the matter with you as others have already said ride it and enjoy it and don't worry what others think and say

I do 80+% of my riding on old beat up steel roda bikes and i enjoy every moment of it , and trust me i don't care what anybody thinks and one thing is for sure i always end up with a huge smile on my face no matter what .

i felt sorry on Sat am when i caught and kept up with a good mate of mine out on his all singing all dancing Cannondale whilst i was pedalling my 48 x 18 fixed gear road

Top Bottom