Good idea for pump location?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CEBEP

Plan on taking pump with me if I'll go on longer journeys. I have Marathon Plus and will use taxi if I'll have flat on a short ride.

Location doesn't effect the fold and I don't plan to use panniers. Will require drilling holes in the rack.l though. What do you guys think, good location for pump or better throw it in the bag if I need it?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am going to buy the new Lenzyne Brompton pump. They are far better than the original plastic monstrosity.

Sharky

Guru
If you can fit it to the frame easily enough, I would make it a permanent fixture. It is too easy to forget it when going on a longer journey, only to realise when you hear pssssssssssssssssssssss.

Another reason for making it a permanent fixture, is that a lot of punctures are slow ones and if reinflated will often be good enough to ride a few more miles and get you home.

Kell

Veteran
I have to say, the original location for the pump wasn't great (IME).

It seemed to just fill up with water and looked like it was on its way to rusting up and seizing.

As it happens, I lost my pump fairly quickly (it just bounced off one day) I remember hearing something clatter, and thought I'd lost my rear light, but when I saw that was attached, I didn't think to check for the pump. I now carry one in my rucksack.

That said, a Monkii clip on the stem would work.

Or if you're set on location, how about zip ties?

My Dahon pump came inside and integral to the seat post. Worked well until it stopped. I now carry 2 pumps, one purely cosmetic.

berlinonaut

Veteran
What do you guys think, good location for pump or better throw it in the bag if I need it?

View attachment 629981
Bad idea. If you ever use the rack the little knobs that you are covering here are intended to be used for the hooks of the rubber straps to keep the load further back to avoid heel strike. If you mount the pump this way you render your rack useless. As other have said: The Leyzine Brompton pump is possibly the way to go - or you put the pump into your bag.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Or if you're set on location, how about zip ties?

I didn't think about those. While it would definitely be less intrusive option I'm concerned about two things.

1. how firm will they keep it secured.
2. zip ties would normally be made from plastic that is not UV protected. Being under the sun will slowly effect it's properties and since they will be under stress all the time they they will eventually brake. Loosing pump for once but I can't even imagine what damage it could cause should it end up in the spokes while moving.

So screwing it in would definitely be the route I'd choose but it does require drilling holes.

a.twiddler

Veteran
It's not a gargantuan frame pump (as the Brompton doesn't have a gargantuan frame) but although it would easily fit in your bag it's nice to know that it's on the bike if you forget, or decide to go out without, your bag for some reason.

When I first saw the frame fitted pump I thought that (a) it was in a good spot to collect all the road muck thrown up by the back wheel and (b) what a world of misery might occur if it fell off into the spokes, even though (c) it was very neatly and discreetly mounted. I thought the steering stem might be a better place, using conventional clips, and might even accommodate a usefully longer pump. That wouldn't affect the usefulness of the rear rack as a mobile stand, or affect the ability to strap things to it while riding. I haven't measured up or tried anything yet as the bag containing a spare pump is always on the bike at the moment, and I can anticipate any alterations affecting the fold so it needs careful thought.

Also it might be less aesthetically pleasing to have it on display, as well as being a temptation to any passing scrote who might be looking for a chance to spoil someone's day.

berlinonaut

Veteran
That a lesson Brompton should learn.
Did you ever try this seatpost pump yourself in practice? If not I'd recommend to do so before giving recommendations in direction of Brompton...
Secondly the Brompton seat post is fixed to the frame - you cannot pull it out as long as the saddle ist mounted to it. In opposite to the one of the Dahon. So Dahon can create a seatpost based pump (which Brompton cannot) but Dahon owners are in permanent danger of gettin their seat post stolen (in opposite to Brompton owners). Which is even worse when having in mind that, due to the folded size, you have to leave your Dahon outside in many places where you would take your Brompton inside.
So in theory Dahon's seat post pump may sound like a brilliant idea, in practice it is just the opposite.

presta

Guru
I don't have a folder, and I can't see clearly from your pictures what you have available to work with, but whenever I'm making brackets and clips etc. I always avoid drilling the bike by using the existing holes and fixings.
These are the pump pegs I made, the top one mounted on the inside of the rack fixing, and the bottom one on the rack and mudguard fixings:

This is the mounting bracket for my new pump, clamped under the bottle cage:

These aren't directly relevant for you of course, but I'd always steer clear of doing anything that may precipitate rust or fatigue fractures, or devalue the bike in any other way.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I don't have a folder, and I can't see clearly from your pictures what you have available to work with, but whenever I'm making brackets and clips etc. I always avoid drilling the bike by using the existing holes and fixings.
The Brompton does not offer too much choice here and due to the fold one has to sensibly think when mounting accessories. Brompton themselves do offer a pump and the space they intend for it is realistically the best option:

my22-pump-greenford-quay_9.jpg

The pump is somewhat expensive at GBP 32 but there is not too much choice other than a front bag or a custom made arrangement inside the seat post. The mounting point @CEBEP intends is prone to massive heel strike (apart from rendering the rack useless). There is probably a reason for the factory solution and I am somewhat surprised that the pump was not part of the package anyway with his bike. It seems to lack the pegs for the older pump, the new one was invented just last winter and I assumed it would be delivered at least with higher speced bikes like his 6-speed Black Edition. I'd probably ask Brompton themselves if this was possibly an error or has been so intentionally. The spec for a 6-speed explore in Brompton's online store clearly states that it would be delivered with a pump:

Pump: Brompton pump with flexible hose compatible with Schrader and Presta Valves

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CEBEP

or a custom made arrangement inside the seat post.
This was my first choice but how to secure it to make sure it doesn't fall out? Old design seat post bung had screw mount and was fixed securely. New one not so much and I'm pretty sure the pump inside it will push it out in time and fall off.

Last edited:

berlinonaut

Veteran
This was my first choice but how to secure it to make sure it doesn't fall down? Old design seat post bung had screw mount and was fixed securely. New one not so much and I'm pretty sure the pump inside it will push it out in time and fall off.
Sorry, no personal experience. I know that some people have done it, using various ways of tinkering. I never felt the need to try it myself plus from first thought got the opinion that if you store it in there safely it is probably totally annoying to get it out when you need it and if you make it comfy to get it our it would probably not be safe against falling down while riding. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom