Good mobile phone with internet and camera for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Rather than pack a laptop i'd rather take a phone with a reasonable screen size and net access/wifi. I have no idea about which is best in terms of what it does and costs, contracts, weighs, functions, 'useability' in the states etc...any suggestions??
TIA:smile:

suffolkcindy

Yes its a tricky one depending on where you are going in the world. When I was touring SE Asia most cyclists I met had smart phones and/or laptops to pick up emails, or surf the net. The roaming contracts vary depending on regions but certainly in SE Asia there were loads of FREE Wifi spots in tourist towns. The problem comes in between towns when there is no signal of any kind and its back to maps and pencils :smile: I think the answer to your question is also constantly evolving. Personally I now have an iphone but the screen is small. Perhaps the new Galaxy Notebook is the answer? A cross between a phone and a tablet?

When I just needed a phone for calling within the country I bought a secondhand local one and a local sim card (total £10). Each country has its own cheap sim card deals.
I hope this helps but suspect it wont a great deal...

dubman

Guru
If you want a reasonable screen size, i would recomend the samsung galaxy note a very good phone indeed.

mcr

Veteran
I can thoroughly recommend the HTC Flyer for internet where there's free wifi. OK it's not a phone, but will bluetooth with one. I've got one for my tour next month - it'll double as my Kindle (It's the same size), music player, web access etc etc, and is going cheap on Amazon at the mo.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Galaxy note..ok..will take a peek. Ta.

swampyseifer

Having used the Note, the only drawback is that it isn't running Ice Cream Sandwich
Bit off-topic.....

I've recently got ICS on my galaxy s2 and tbh its ruined a good phone. The battery life is now half what it was, the default music and video players no longer play music and videos that they did and I have an annoying bug where the clock widget on the home screen freezes at a time sometimes and the only way to unfreeze it is to remove the clock widget and readd it again!

NeoCaesar

Bit off-topic.....

I've recently got ICS on my galaxy s2 and tbh its ruined a good phone. The battery life is now half what it was, the default music and video players no longer play music and videos that they did and I have an annoying bug where the clock widget on the home screen freezes at a time sometimes and the only way to unfreeze it is to remove the clock widget and readd it again!

There will likely be bugs in a version of brand new software. I have just updated to 4.0.3 and it has been a little glitchy. The next update for my device will simply iron out the creases.

Apologies for being off topic...

The benefit of a phone is you can get a solar charger and put that on top of your panniers and fully charge it within a day. You could never do that with a laptop. Although if you're in The States this would be less useful than if you were somewhere more rural...

coddy

The problem comes in between towns when there is no signal of any kind and its back to maps and pencils :smile: I think the answer to your question is also constantly evolving. ...

On the subject of mobile navigation and hopefully of benefit.....

A data connection isn't a necessity for mapping, Cindy. I create my own maps using Mobile Atlas Creator as and when required (with different zoom levels) and store them on SD Card for use with the mobile's GPS. My front dynamo hub supplies the necessary charge to keep the battery juiced up on tour.

Mobile Atlas Creator - http://mobac.sourceforge.net/ (Earlier versions are still floating around for extra mapping sources)

A decent screen size is a big advantage when navigating on the go and a robust handle bar mount. Save battery life by ensuring screen off when not in use. (If used, GPS tracking can still be recorded with the screen off)

Orux maps is great on Android.

Gadget nerdsrus:hyper:

Top Bottom