Good mobile phone with internet and camera for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

suffolkcindy

Why don't you email the photos to yourself when wifi is available?
Thats what i do

Sent by iPhone using Tapatalk

Coz photo files are too big for my email server thing to allow through and its too fiddly sending one photo at a time. I shall look into DropBox coz then I can store travel documents too with no time limit.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Mick, yes, I use Siri in my car via a Bluetooth connection.

Cindy, I'm still not sure where the idea of a 30-day limit comes from. I've just looked in my Photostream folder on my iPad (ie. not the device on which the photos were taken) and there are photos in there from five months ago.

Mort, Dropbox isn't an Android thing - you can use that with an iPhone too.

RhythMick

Über Member
Coz photo files are too big for my email server thing to allow through and its too fiddly sending one photo at a time. I shall look into DropBox coz then I can store travel documents too with no time limit.

SugarSync does same thing, you get 5Gb free instead of 2 and having used both I'd say SS is better, easier to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

suffolkcindy

Mick, yes, I use Siri in my car via a Bluetooth connection.

Cindy, I'm still not sure where the idea of a 30-day limit comes from. I've just looked in my Photostream folder on my iPad (ie. not the device on which the photos were taken) and there are photos in there from five months ago.

Mort, Dropbox isn't an Android thing - you can use that with an iPhone too.

It seems to store them in photostream for 30 days but once you have shifted them to your device of course they are there for ever...on the road though I want to be able to send them somewhere else so if I lose what i have with me...they are safe. When I back up to iCloud it tells me "Photostream allows you to save the last 30 days of photos to iCloud" so thats where I get the information from.

CopperBrompton

I haven't transferred any photos to my iPad, I just view my Photostream there. (I do have them permanently stored on my Mac.) Ah well, works for me, but I can understand your nervousness if you are seeing conflicting info. I have been using it since day 1, so perhaps they have a different deal for new users.

peelywally

i use this its probably the best phone out right now nothing has its features ,
cams awsome dropbox auto or manual upload 25gig +25gig built in
free maps the works you name it it has it .
http://www.htc.com/uk/smartphones/htc-one-x/
one downside is built in battery but solar charger or aa battery charger would see it ok i use aa one from dealxtreme tbh it hasnt needed it but thats on day rides

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Ok I'm losing the plot here....to complicated...

I have to get a phone PDQ...been to phones 4u but the bloke was beyond dim....tescos spoke about locked and unlocked...now I finally understand that concept...I think I need an unlocked phone with no contract that can get a sim card for in the states...Make sense so far?????

I want a phone that has a good camera, good video, good wifi access and easy to use as a computer while on tour. I will probably never use the phone over there unless i need to call 911.

I also want to upload to a blog or use apps that are usefull on a cycle tour (dont know which ones though)...I like the track my ride site/app simon is using on his transam trip at the moment above.

SO.......Peeps....can you give me a simple GET THIS ONE type of instruction so muppet here has half a chance?

I was allowing about £200 for the phone.

Many thanks.

CopperBrompton

There are three main phone platforms: iOS (Apple), Android and Windows Phone. None of them are remotely like a desktop OS, so what you're used to on a PC isn't relevant.

iOS and Android have pretty similar capabilities, Windows Phone hasn't yet caught up and probably never will (assuming it has a long-term future at all).

Your budget won't get you an unlocked iPhone, so you're looking at Android.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
There are three main phone platforms: iOS (Apple), Android and Windows Phone. None of them are remotely like a desktop OS, so what you're used to on a PC isn't relevant.

iOS and Android have pretty similar capabilities, Windows Phone hasn't yet caught up and probably never will (assuming it has a long-term future at all).

Your budget won't get you an unlocked iPhone, so you're looking at Android.

Thankyou :smile:

I did a ebay search for andoid unlocked and got this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...kw=android+phone+unlocked&_osacat=0&_from=R40

anything on here do the job?

peelywally

So you take a photo and it is automatically uploaded to dropbox right away?
if you select auto upload yes or manual you choose if and when

It has full 1080 hd video with still capture while filming or veiwing
And video and still editing suites inc

Top Bottom