Good 'ol Lizzie

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Why do Scousers hate the establishment so much?

Oh...
View attachment 644808

All of this is part of it, of course, but in the current climate - the one that Phaeton makes no bones about trying to uphold by policing the limits of acceptable opinion, where excessive deference to royalty is portrayed as the norm - it's easy to forget that healthy dislike and disrespect for the monarchy is a completely normal sentiment with a history as old as the institution itself, and every bit as English or British as revolving musical Jubilee biscuit tins from M&S.

Again, many of these points are at least arguable.

Possibly, but it is still a choice, and privilege does still come with responsibility.

See above. This isn't a comparable situation.

You may not want it to be, but that doesn't stop it being reasonable to expect people complaining about privilege achieved through an accident of birth to lead by example.

The fact nobody is liable to volunteer for that speaks volumes.

As for the (rather silly) comments on forelock tugging some posters have made, I don't tug my forelock to anyone, but that doesn't stop me having respect for history, especially when that history played such an important part in making this a place that people go to such great lengths to get to.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
You may not want it to be, but that doesn't stop it being reasonable to expect people complaining about privilege achieved through an accident of birth to lead by example.

The fact nobody is liable to volunteer for that speaks volumes.

As for the (rather silly) comments on forelock tugging some posters have made, I don't tug my forelock to anyone, but that doesn't stop me having respect for history, especially when that history played such an important part in making this a place that people go to such great lengths to get to.

You don't know what sacrifices, and or efforts, that people who recognise their own privileges are already making, do you though??.

People making those efforts are usually fairly quiet about it, as self aggrandisement isn't why they're doing it in the first place.

Although of course, if they do dare mention any of it.
They'll be 'virtue signalling' ' right enough??

No 'winning' there, is there??

One of the very real reasons this country is so very rich, and is therefore so desirable to get to, is the legacy of British Empire and Colonialism.

Our privileged hierarchical systems, and the monarchy, represents the upholding, of these systems over the centuries.

These are just some of the reasons many of us object to a hereditary monarchy.

As Claud to says, objecting to the monarchy is also a democratic tradition in this country.

Although of course not so popular, with the 'populists' whose allegedly 'cancelled' voices are pretty loud right now.

That it all lets unscrupulous and wholly unsuitable, over privileged and over entitled idiots such as Mr Johnson into 'power' is a symptom of the same system.

You can object to all of the above.

Without wishing any personal ill on a 96yr old woman.
She is in fact free to retire, from her 'duties' any time she wishes.

It would seem a reasonable thing for her to do.

You don't know what sacrifices, and or efforts, that people who recognise their own privileges are already making, do you though??.

People making those efforts are usually fairly quiet about it, as self aggrandisement isn't why they're doing it in the first place.

One of the very real reasons this country is so very rich, and is therefore so desirable to get to, is the legacy of British Empire and Colonialism.

Our privileged hierarchical systems, and the monarchy, represents the upholding, of these systems over the centuries.

As Claud to says, objecting to the monarchy is also a democratic tradition in this country.

Although of course not so popular, with the 'populists' whose allegedly 'cancelled' voices are pretty loud right now.

That it all lets unscrupulous and wholly unsuitable, over privileged and over entitled idiots such as Mr Johnson into 'power' is a symptom of the same system.

There's so much wrong with that, and it's such a mess to try and read never mind respond to, I'll just refer you back to the previous points which I made and stand by, as you have disproved none. :okay:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
There's so much wrong with that, and it's such a mess to try and read never mind respond to, I'll just refer you back to the previous points which I made and stand by, as you have disproved none. :okay:
Its perfectly readable, but if English comprehension is really your problem, then this might help.

Lots of people make contributions, and sacrifices, in respect of their own recognised privileges.

But they don't always feel the need to shout about them.

Here or elsewhere.

Its perfectly readable, but if English comprehension is really your problem, then this might help.

Lots of people make contributions, and sacrifices, in respect of their own recognised privileges.

But they don't always feel the need to shout about them.

Here or elsewhere.

Your initial reply was a mess.

Your summary changes nothing of the points I made.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Your initial reply was a mess.

Your summary changes nothing of the points I made.

Actually I'm not here to have my posts marked by you, do you somehow imagine yours are better??

My summary (as you know) refutes your claim that no one here is doing, or sacrificing anything, in respect of their own privelege.

You know that but can't bear to concede that point.

Ego traps abound..

Actually I'm not here to have my posts marked by you, do you somehow imagine yours are better??

My summary (as you know) refutes your claim that no one here is doing, or sacrificing anything, in respect of their own privelege.

You know that but can't bear to concede that point.

Ego traps abound..

You are presumably here to engage in a discussion, and your post was just words sprayed at a screen, which doesn't really support that anymore than the faux claims in the above response.

It seems your comment on the ego trap is probably best viewed as being reflective...and rather desperate. :okay:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist

As always Mudsticks well written and executed with knowledge.

I think HRH is self employed. She can do what she likes. As the reigning monarch, she is also above the law.

Not sure about that. Iirc there were restrictions on the monarchy when it became a constitutional monarchy. Not above the law. Absolute monarchy ended centuries ago and we really should remember that positive step forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom