Good 'ol Lizzie

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I only started commenting on this thread in response to a poster bringing the NACA forum into the discussion, making it clear they had been lurking there.

Terribly sorry; didn't realise it was frowned upon to read areas of the internet which I have no wish to participate in.
It can still be entertaining, in a perverse, shaking of the head kind of way.

Brandane

Legendary Member
We also would be very unlikely to skive work only to get caught out without consequences.

I think HRH is self employed. She can do what she likes. As the reigning monarch, she is also above the law.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Terribly sorry; didn't realise it was frowned upon to read areas of the internet which I have no wish to participate in.
It can still be entertaining, in a perverse, shaking of the head kind of way.

Crack on, I'm only teasing really. My point is that this particular thread was overtly political from the outset.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Come chat in NACA, maybe we could have a proper discussion about constitutional monarchy.

Right. After that I will put my Glasgow Rangers shirt on and head for Kitty O'Shea's pub in Glasgow to try and have a proper discussion with 200 Celtic supporters about constitutional monarchy, religion, and Irish politics.

I'd rather you didn't, they should be ashamed of themselves, if as you state it was in opposition to the current Government WTF has that to do with the National Anthem, what next flag burning?

It would be interesting to know why they were booing. I can see their logic if they were protesting about the policies of the 1980's; ("We don't like the establishment, this is establishment, therefore we'll make our disapproval clear.")

You could argue there are more productive ways to deal with such problems, but we also have to accept people will want to boo the National Anthem or burn flags. I'd rather live in a place where people can do that, to be honest.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It would be interesting to know why they were booing. I can see their logic if they were protesting about the policies of the 1980's; ("We don't like the establishment, this is establishment, therefore we'll make our disapproval clear.")

You could argue there are more productive ways to deal with such problems, but we also have to accept people will want to boo the National Anthem or burn flags. I'd rather live in a place where people can do that, to be honest.

Caveat that I haven't read it yet but the Indie's got an article about it.

View: https://twitter.com/Robert_Gordon_/status/1525760865852698625?t=PjAgdSfW9pPB6-Yrc3sXPQ&s=19

Given anyone in the UK is wealthier than over 90% of the people on the planet, how many people on here are going to give up the privilege they have through an accident of birth?

Isn't anyone that criticises the 'privilege' of Royalty and doesn't give up their own privilege simply a hypocrite?

I'm not sure that's the same thing. A member of CC could do as you suggest, and it wouldn't do a great deal. A change from a hereditary head of state to an elected one makes the statement (in theory) that merit is more important than birth.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic

Why do Scousers hate the establishment so much?

Oh...
20220515_121945.jpg

So nobody volunteering to give up their privilege, just a lot of excuses tying to justify why they shouldn't, but someone else should. Got it. :okay:

I think you may be missing the point: this isn't about someone losing their privilege, it's about the fact privilege also comes with responsibilities, and that having an elected head of state says a lot about how that state, at least in theory views such privileges and responsibilities.

I've seen a similar discovery in some of the refugees I work with: some came to Germany expecting things to be easy, and the responsibility of learning the language and getting a trade was too much; several have said they'll go home as soon as possible.

To be fair this Privilege/responsibility balance is something both sides of the political spectrum struggle with.

I think you may be missing the point: this isn't about someone losing their privilege, it's about the fact privilege also comes with responsibilities, and that having an elected head of state says alot about how that state, at least in theory views such privileges and responsibilities.

It's a ceremonial position, that doesn't have much in the way of influence, never mind power, and it brings a decent income in to the Country, as well as representing the history that helped create the place people go to great lengths to get to.

The fact HRH will not abdicate because she feels the responsibility of her oath over rides her personal wishes says a lot about her.

The fact people are not prepared to abdicate their privilege despite expecting HRH to, says a lot about them.

It's a ceremonial position, that doesn't have much in the way of influence, never mind power, and it brings a decent income in to the Country, as well as representing the history that helped create the place people go to great lengths to get to.

Again, many of these points are at least arguable.

The fact HRH will not abdicate because she feels the responsibility of her oath over rides her personal wishes says a lot about her.

Possibly, but it is still a choice, and privilege does still come with responsibility.

The fact people are not prepared to abdicate their privilege despite expecting HRH to, says a lot about them.

See above. This isn't a comparable situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom