Good 'ol Lizzie

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
FFS guys if you want o discuss the rights & wrongs of the Monarchy then take it to the dark place, this is about a 96 year old woman who despite not initially being brought up to do this job has done it for over 70 years. Every single thing she has done in that time, every single day she has been under scrutiny, look how the snowflakes of today are dealing with it.

Indeed; there's even a dedicated thread about HRH's jubilee over there, inhabited by the usual joyless, anti-establishment, anti everything brigade.

Ha! Although technically, of course, the Royal Family still exists because it had a SMALLER army back in the day!

The civil wars of the mid-17th Century resulted in the defeat and temporary removal of the Monarch. The Glorious Revolution of 1688 and the issue of the Bill of Rights in 1689 formed a constitutional settlement between the Monarchy and Parliament where power was, to all intents and purposes, vested in Parliament.

So the monarchy LOST a war and did a deal to keep the Crown. Crafty eh…

To be fair you can't blame the Windsor family for that: they're descended from a Hanoverian refugee and an Heir of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

In fact they're technically more German than a mere migrant like me, so the German Anthem would be more appropriate...

winjim

Smash the cistern
Indeed; there's even a dedicated thread about HRH's jubilee over there, inhabited by the usual joyless, anti-establishment, anti everything brigade.

I'm not sure which thread you've been lurking on but the one I've been contributing to is for the last couple of pages mostly jokes about a street party.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm not sure which thread you've been lurking on but the one I've been contributing to is for the last couple of pages mostly jokes about a street party.

To be fair, I don't think I got past page 2, that was more than enough. I like to have a read now and again, just to confirm my opinions!

I think the point is more that the institution of the Crown, monarchy or whatever you want to call it is bigger than one individual. If that individual is unable to do the role because of health, age or whatever then surely the right thing is to retire or abdicate?

The Queen isn't fit to do the job so don't do it! Why is she still hanging on? She's done her service so well but imho she could be tarnishing it at the end by hanging on for some reason I can't fathom.

Give her a break! Let her abdicate and retire. It's not fair to keep her doing it.

Slick

Guru
I think the point is more that the institution of the Crown, monarchy or whatever you want to call it is bigger than one individual. If that individual is unable to do the role because of health, age or whatever then surely the right thing is to retire or abdicate?

The Queen isn't fit to do the job so don't do it! Why is she still hanging on? She's done her service so well but imho she could be tarnishing it at the end by hanging on for some reason I can't fathom.

Give her a break! Let her abdicate and retire. It's not fair to keep her doing it.

Its so obviously not just a job though is it.

It is her decision but not made on her own. I doubt it's just her resisting it.

It's a job and a calling through birth, but it's also a constitutional role. If you're not fit for the job, can switch out job for role in this context, then you should let it move on to the next eligible contender. Why would you not do that? It's your own son, doesn't she think he can do it? Why isn't she abdication?

The Queen cannot just retire.

Her view is that she agreed with God to fulfill the role, and therefore abdication isn't an option for her.

She cannot step down until medical experts prove that she is incapable of filling the obligations of the role, and she is currently working over 40 hours a week on her duties even at her age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom