Good price? Worth it? I think so...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been offered and viewing tomorrow a pair of Ritchey WCS Protocol wheels that are used, one season only, for £175 which I think is a pretty good buy. What do you all think?

However, will this be the beginning of a slippery slope toward replacing other bike parts - namely the groupset - on my Giant Defy 3 and is it really worth it? The frame is a good one and I know that wheels and frame are paramount but a better groupset has also crossed my mind. Would a Tiagra groupset be worth picking up 2nd hand and most importantly would it fit the Defy 3? What would I pay etc?

THanks as always for any advice...

Are you technically competent to do the groupset upgrade yourself (cos obviously that will affect the costs)? [Don't infer from the question as sense of presumed superiority on my part - I wouldn't attempt it due to my lack of technical experience!!]

Have a look on e-bay - you frequently see second hand groupsets but I'm guessing your Defy 3 has current got a Shimano Sora group set - which is probably pre-2009 and hence an 8-speed. Tiagra comes as 9 speed so you'll just need to make sure you keep the drivechain compatible (ie: cassette (8, 9 or 10) with appropriate chain and STIs.

I'm sure others more technical profficient than me will start contributing soon.

Best wishes from Bristol!! [By eck, didn't it p*ss dwn today!]

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
A tiagra groupset wouldn't be any significant improvement ime. Better off replacing parts as and when they need, aiming for 105. As long as you buy 9 speed parts you can replace with anything across the shimano range.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Thanks one and all. Good points about the technically competent bit...the answer being no! Interesting points about Tiagra too and one I'll definitely bear in mind (I found it quite shocking that a Tiagra groupset is around £400 which is around 2/3 the price of the entire bike).

My Defy 3 is a 2009 model and is 9-speed so between you you've managed to answer my question on compatiblity...

Glad you think so on the wheels Steve. Should hopefully make a difference to my ride.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Yep, bought the MPS Ritchey Protocols for £175 for the pair but not before being offered some Mavic Aksiums at £150 pair with new tyres and an Ultegra 10-speed cassette in with the price as well, just to confuse my poor little brain! (I couldn't use the cassette with my current set-up).

I think I made the right choice going for the Ritchey's at that price but the only problem I might have now is that the two tyres I have on my Alex rims are 25s and I don't know whether they'll be good for the Ritchey wheels, thus incurring further expense...?...? and ?

Very chuffed though, very light; and... you know, they go round and round and round...:reading:

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Ritchey WCS Protocol

Just read somewhere that these wheels I've just bought might not be compatible with a 9-speed cassette? Many have told me that they are.
Won't...
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...3_ilDg&usg=AFQjCNEBwiZqdulyKHdpsXTSVViV7QCd-Q

will...
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...3_ilDg&usg=AFQjCNHcm1ZoasJlMqTo44oCletzGhIhEA

Can anyone shed any light on this? I know the guy and he was going to set them up this week so no bother but anyone know any different?
Also will they take 25c tyres?

PpPete

Legendary Member
10 speed cassettes are fracionally narrower than 9 speed (about 1mm IIRC)
Shimano hubs are usually compatible with 8, 9, and 10 speed. In theory I suppose the Ritchey freehubs could be only just long enough for 10 speed cassettes. I'd try a 9 speed cassette and see. You might not get the lockring on quite as many turns as usual.

Can't see any reason not to try 25mm tyres either.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Thanks Porky Pete. The seller will be setting them up this week sometime so if there's a problem he's gotta pair of Mavic Aksiums with some tyres already on instead. Thanks for the reply.

Top Bottom