Good quality bathroom scale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Hi Everyone,

I always buy these from the supermarket for £10... They're not very good and often programmed to repeat the results to fool me into thinking they're precise; break quickly, etc. I know - you get what you pay for...

Anyway, decided to get a proper one. Doesn't need to have Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, a dedicated app for your phone or sync with Fakebook and the like. I just want it to be precise. Can anyone recommend me a good product or at least a reputable manufacturer?

Thanks in advance.

I've never really grasped why someone would want to know how heavy their bathroom is, or their kitchen for that matter.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Anyone else wants to weigh in on the conversation?
Belt up!

No, seriously... use a belt!

I actually use a set of those Aldi/Lidl scales and they are accurate enough for me. A more serious target for me than the actual weight is to be able to wear a particular leather belt comfortably. I started off with it at 40+" long and it had holes every inch down to 35". I added extra holes every half inch and extended the range down to 33" which is the waist size I'd like to get back to. (Currently around 36".)

As for accurate scales... Salter?

Belt up!
No, seriously... use a belt!
I actually use a set of those Aldi/Lidl scales and they are accurate enough for me. A more serious target for me than the actual weight is to be able to wear a particular leather belt comfortably. I started off with it at 40+" long and it had holes every inch down to 35". I added extra holes every half inch and extended the range down to 33" which is the waist size I'd like to get back to. (Currently around 36".)

As for accurate scales... Salter?

They want the scales to be precise, not accurate. Rookie error in your advice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision

presta

Guru
Bathroom scales are just cheap consumer products, not precision instruments, but accuracy isn't such a big deal if you just want to track changes in you weight from week to week. What you need is repeatability, and IME that's poor too, but there are things you can do to help.
1. Don't put them on a soft (carpet) or uneven (tiled) surface, cut a piece of 20mm blockboard or plywood, and put them on that.
2. The readings change as you rock your weight from left to right and toe to heel, practice the art of distributing your weight evenly.
3. Averaging is your friend, step on and off three times and note the mode or the median of the readings each day, and then average 7 days each week.

Non scale-related measures that also help with accuracy are to weigh yourself at the same time each morning after you've been to the loo, and before you eat anything to minimise the effect of bladder and bowel contents.

I get quite reliable, and usably consistent results this way.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My guess is that they all incorporate four load-cell modules from the same factory in China, and they are all equally accurate. Battery life is the thing to watch out for IMHO.

si_c

Guru
The best way would be to fill your bath with water and then measure the displacement. I have a "good" set of scales, but they read two different things in different parts of my bathroom as the floor flexes. They read a different number again on the kitchen floor (concrete).
Edit to add: My point is you want consistency not accuracy, i.e to know whether your weight is up or down. The actual weight is irrelevant unless you are trying to build a contraption to launch yourself into space.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My point is you want consistency not accuracy, i.e to know whether your weight is up or down. The actual weight is irrelevant unless you are trying to build a contraption to launch yourself into space.
That is where my belt test is good. I remember that the belt in question was uncomfortably tight at full length at the start of the year. It is now OK taken in 10 cm/4". Ideally, I would get that much more off again, but anything over another 5 cm would do.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Hi Everyone,

I always buy these from the supermarket for £10... They're not very good and often programmed to repeat the results to fool me into thinking they're precise; break quickly, etc. I know - you get what you pay for...

Anyway, decided to get a proper one. Doesn't need to have Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, a dedicated app for your phone or sync with Fakebook and the like. I just want it to be precise. Can anyone recommend me a good product or at least a reputable manufacturer?

Thanks in advance.
OP I'm sorry, but I'm going to answer the question :sad:

Take a look at Tanita - they make medical stuff too, and I know they are durable (well 15 years durable anyway). They do a body composition scale at c£30 that's good value, and tells you some interesting stuff.

The only downside is they seem to over-read by about 25lbs each time I weigh myself - but they are consistent so I can make adjustments ^_^

Top Bottom