Good quality fixed gear chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
As it say's on the tin,can any advise from their own experiences a good chain that lasts a good while and does not stretch too much.Used and abused my Boardman fixed for the past few weeks and the chain is tangling like a good one !
Ta

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
KMC's are good but I run a charge masher half-link for a bit of bling.

D

Deleted member 1258

I must admit I buy the cheapest chain available and replace it every twelve months, about 3-3500 miles.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Gusset make some nice half link chains, I replaced my Charge Masher with one (when the paint started to look shocking on it), but they both run really well. Worth a look.

Pottsy

I tend to go for KMC as mentioned earlier (always an excellent choice) and also recently an SRAM 1/8" PC1 Nickel chain. The latter looks good, nice simple link and also has good reports. No comment on longevity yet though of course.

i'm quite liking the Izumi Chain...plenty of links to fit most Ratios....
last one had 116 before shortening it to take up the slack.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I like KMC. I wouldn't bother with a half-link chain unless you have a specific need to adjust the chain length half a link at a time. The dog-leg bends in half-link chains was invented for BMX, and is unnecessary for fixed and single-speed. With each pedal stroke these bends are trying to straighten, and their presence probably weakens the chain slightly. Whatever you choose, get one with a proper joining link (i.e. elongated circlip).

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I like KMC. I wouldn't bother with a half-link chain unless you have a specific need to adjust the chain length half a link at a time. The dog-leg bends in half-link chains was invented for BMX, and is unnecessary for fixed and single-speed. With each pedal stroke these bends are trying to straighten, and their presence probably weakens the chain slightly. Whatever you choose, get one with a proper joining link (i.e. elongated circlip).

I think that this is not such a problem with modern half link chains. At least not one I have had.

I was very wary of chain stretch when I first got my bike, and when I changed the chain, and when I was later experimenting with different sized sprockets, but have always had a chain that interlocks consistently smoothly and without any problems.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
KMC here. Have run Izumi but they haven't been as good as the KMC 510 I have had on the past year, and it hasn't stretched to 0.75 yet. Also means less chain slack adjusting.

Top Bottom