Google maps for bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ohnovino

Large Member
One bonus is that you can drag the route to change bits. That could make it a very quick way to generate a cue sheet for a route you already know: put in the start and end, then drag out the bits you don't like until it matches your ideal route.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Hmm, google just sent me into an industrial estate and then straight back the way it had just sent me, and after that detour it sent me the wrong way round a roundabout! https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=London, SE8 4SQ, UK&daddr=The O2 Arena, London, United Kingdom&hl=en&ll=51.492373,0.007532&spn=0.003267,0.010042&sll=51.475556,-0.019569&sspn=0.006535,0.020084&geocode=FU19EQMdn6z__ym9aMJkiwJ2SDEkXH2H5EZ2Vw;FSHeEQMdEgwAACH9MltdSA3XiSlTPt68HajYRzH9MltdSA3XiQ&oq=o2&t=h&dirflg=b&mra=ls&z=17&lci=bike

EDIT: just found that the link doesn't bring up the route. So I hit ''get directions'' again and it sent me into the Blackwall Tunnel!

my commute uses cycle path google sends me down a main rd

Google does not seem aware of ANY cycle paths in this area. In one case there is a track that runs in a straight line for about 4 miles, yet they give a 6.5 mile variation on busy dual carageways, and long diversions.

Mind you the dangerous and busy roundabout they insist on using hasn't existed for ages either!

Yes, some of the routes are just silly.

Reading to London takes you on a convoluted tour of back streets when the A40 is a nice wide road without much traffic (most cars use the M40)
Shepherd's Bush to Holland Park takes you all the way around the gyratory just so you can get on a cycle path on the opposite side of the road to where you start!
Maidstone to Medway takes you uphill for about 4 miles on a 70mph dual carriageway.

As others have said though, it is beta, and I think it's nice that Google are putting some thought towards cyclists. Hopefully the service will improve over time.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

Laughably, it sends cyclists down the A556 south of Manchester. Anyone who knows that road will understand that to cycle on it you have to be suicidal, and to cycle on the pavement alongside it you have to have 5 inches travel suspension on each axle.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Note, the issues that I have mentioned here I have also reported to Google via their reporting application. I trust that everyone else is doing this as well? :smile:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Has anyone used google maps for bike routes.
My commute to work uses 6 roads so 6 turns in total.
Using google maps it's 26 roads so 26 turns absolutely ridiculous.

My way: 3.6 miles and 8 turns
Google maps (bike): 3.9 miles, 27 turns. And it misses the 1.5 mile stretch of dedicated off-road cycle path!

Still some work to do then....

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I guess it has only just been added so there are bound to be a few things in need of an edit. Around here for example there are quite a few gaps (the nice, largely traffic free route from Wicken to Ely being one).

Worryingly, they have also included one of Sustrans 'aspirational' routes (over the River Cam at Waterbeach to Lode) which involves a fairly convoluted river lock, a kissing gate, two styles and a prominent 'no cycling' sign! I do it occasionally but wouldn't recommend it- especially not fully loaded. I hope this and other such routes get removed as I don't think one landowner with whom Sustrans are in negotiations with for the route will be too chuffed.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

Laughably, it sends cyclists down the A556 south of Manchester. Anyone who knows that road will understand that to cycle on it you have to be suicidal, and to cycle on the pavement alongside it you have to have 5 inches travel suspension on each axle.

I notified Google of this, and to their credit:

Hi Lasers,

Your Google Maps problem report has been reviewed, and you were right!
=120x120&center=53.283716,-2.432568&zoom=11&sensor=false&markers=color:red%7C53.283716,-2.432568.png
You'd have to be crazy to cycle on this road. It's a 4-lane single carriageway with, in places, a 60mph speed restriction. It is completely unsuitable for cyclists, lethal in fact. There are no separate cycle lanes on the pavement, either. Cyclists should NEVER use this road.
We'll update the map soon and email you when you can see the change.
Thanks for helping us to improve Google Maps!
maps_logo.png

Top Bottom