Google maps for bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davefb

Guru
COOL!
So I've reported that it sends you down the a666 from bolton to kearsley. Cycles have been banned for a while [CYNIC]since a ban and a speed restriction was cheaper than widening the road..... [/CYNIC]

evo456

Über Member
Used the cycle route from google maps onto my garmin edge to Windsor. Definitely not the most straight forward path, but it was very scenic :thumbsup: Good feature, we can all make it better if we report the bugs, my journey was fine, just a few cycle path the positioning wasn't really 100%

defy-one

Used the cycle route from google maps onto my garmin edge to Windsor. Definitely not the most straight forward path, but it was very scenic :thumbsup: Good feature, we can all make it better if we report the bugs, my journey was fine, just a few cycle path the positioning wasn't really 100%

You a local lad?
I often ride up to Windsor

evo456

Über Member
Well West London local, just as well yesterday I decided to embark on the longest ride in my life for 35 miles on a 15kg bike - but loved it!

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I notified Google of this, and to their credit:

Hi Lasers,

Your Google Maps problem report has been reviewed, and you were right!
=120x120&center=53.283716,-2.432568&zoom=11&sensor=false&markers=color:red%7C53.283716,-2.432568.png
You'd have to be crazy to cycle on this road. It's a 4-lane single carriageway with, in places, a 60mph speed restriction. It is completely unsuitable for cyclists, lethal in fact. There are no separate cycle lanes on the pavement, either. Cyclists should NEVER use this road.
We'll update the map soon and email you when you can see the change.
Thanks for helping us to improve Google Maps!
maps_logo.png

I made a similar report about issues near me. I got a similar response to yours then a few days later an e-mail to say that they've fixed it and updated the map. They still haven't done it so I've re-reported the problem.

I understand that they can't be expected to have local knowledge of non-Sustrans cycle paths, etc. But if they provide the facility for corrections to be suggested then they ought to take them on board.

They've even highlighted (in green) one of the new Sustrans routes through Blyth, but refuse to let you include it in a map - I can't even drag a route onto it :sad:

Top Bottom