Got a retul fit, which trek frame size might suit me best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all, got a retul fit done (for piece of mind more than anything) before buying and the numbers from this are in the table below along with the geometries of the Trek Domane AL 2 disc. Would like peoples opinions on what frame size might work best for me? I'm 5'11 with a 34 inseam. Thanks!

1627052877255.png

Attachments

• 1626978901626.png
    1626978901626.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The 58 for sure.

vickster

Legendary Member
@Paul_Smith SRCC might be able to advise

but shouldn’t the fitter be making a recommendation based on his expertise…isn’t that the point of having a jig fit? Otherwise you’ve paid a lot of money for some numbers which you can’t use?

Venod

Eh up
What stem length did you have on your frame fit?
I would go with the 56
I am 5'10" with a 33" crotch to floor and depending on the geometry, I ride a 54 or a 56.

OP
OP
W

weebeansysbro

Regular
@Paul_Smith SRCC might be able to advise

but shouldn’t the fitter be making a recommendation based on his expertise…isn’t that the point of having a jig fit? Otherwise you’ve paid a lot of money for some numbers which you can’t use?

He said either could work but was leaning towards the 56. No harm in getting a second opinion :smile:

si_c

Guru
I'd go 56, you can always fit a longer stem if needed to add reach, the other markers are closer on the 56 than the 58.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Hi all, got a retul fit done (for piece of mind more than anything) before buying and the numbers from this are in the table below along with the geometries of the Trek Domane AL 2 disc. Would like peoples opinions on what frame size might work best for me? I'm 5'11 with a 34 inseam. Thanks!

View attachment 600465
I'm very close to your dimensions and I'd personally be focusing more on the 56cm Trek Domane AL2. For sure even though I am similar there are other considerations, shoe size, flexibility, range of motion and stability to name just some of the factors a bike fitter will take into consideration.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
cheers Paul. Yeah they said 776mm from bb to centre of saddle, which it seems the 56 can accommodate with around 50mm seat post left.

Even then you could always get a longer seat post, I rode a 61cm frame with a longer stem and taller seatpost for a couple of years, and it was a seriously comfortable fit - for reference my Domane is a 62cm frame with a longer stem and my Kinesis 63cm.

Edit to add: It's always better to get a slightly smaller frame if unsure, you can't as easily correct a reach that's too long. It's probably a poor comparison but the pro cyclists seem to get smaller frames and longer stems routinely as it's a more aerodynamic setup, particularly with TT frames.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
56 or 58, either will work. Not going to make much difference
That's the advantage of an Endurance bike like the Domane, by design they are quite 'bike fit' friendly.

601032 56cm
601015 58cm​

Morphing the 56cm to the 58cm
I have used the same saddle height and setback on all the above with 30mm headset spacers. Due to the higher stack of the 58cm the reach from saddle tip to bars is only 2mm more. The drop to the bars on the 58cm is quite conservative, with such a minimal drop most would remove spacers to lower it on this kind of bike; I've done that on the drawing below for you.
For sure to a new rider listing the bar drop on the 56cm to the top of the bars as 51mm maybe just a number with little useful meaning, that's where the bike fitter will be able to help as they can set the jig up so you can feel what that number relates to. Put into context without a fitting, that drop to the bars is normally doable for someone of our height and dimensions on this style of bike if they have average flexibility. Using myself as a reference I cope with a larger drop of 63mm on my Van Nicholas Chinook, I have an arthritic back and very short hamstrings and literally don't get past me knees when attempting a toe touch; as you can see below I do not have an aggressive position.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

weebeansysbro

Regular
That's the advantage of an Endurance bike like the Domane, by design they are quite 'bike fit' friendly.

Morphing the 56cm to the 58cm
View attachment 601016
I have used the same saddle height and setback on all the above with 30mm headset spacers. Due to the higher stack of the 58cm the reach from saddle tip to bars is only 2mm more. The drop to the bars on the 58cm is quite conservative, with such a minimal drop most would remove spacers to lower it on this kind of bike; I've done that on the drawing below for you.
For sure to a new rider listing the bar drop on the 56cm to the top of the bars as 51mm maybe just a number with little useful meaning, that's where the bike fitter will be able to help as they can set the jig up so you can feel what that number relates to. Put into context without a fitting, that drop to the bars is normally doable for someone of our height and dimensions on this style of bike if they have average flexibility. Using myself as a reference I cope with a larger drop of 63mm on my Van Nicholas Chinook, I have an arthritic back and very short hamstrings and literally don't get past me knees when attempting a toe touch; as you can see below I do not have an aggressive position.
brilliant stuff paul :bravo: I have all the info i need now

Top Bottom