Got caught in snow...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
But I had Schwalbe Marathons on and I made it round fine. It was more sleet than snow at times but it did get dicey at times. Glad I got out though. Was fun.

I'm continuously disappointed with overshoes - my Grip Grabs did not keep me snug for long. I even had some carrier bags over my socks and I still got wet feet.

I think I need to buy some winter cycling boots!
Photo 21-01-2018, 08 24 45.jpg
Photo 21-01-2018, 09 00 15.jpg

400bhp

Guru
Try putting a mudguard flap on the front guard, that should help a bit with soggy feet.

Not sure Marathon tyres are any better than any other puncture proof tyre in the snow.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have BBB H/D neoprene overshoes which are fab and shoes underneath are often dry when the overshoe is removed even after torrential stuff. I combine the over shoe with goretex lined shoes and this is a bombproof combination. If your feet get wet with these on it is because the water is running down your legs from above the overshoe and nothing can really stop this.
Shoes are Shimano MT71 SPD - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-mt71-mtb-spd-shoes/rp-prod55381
I think these have been superseded now.

Yep, agree with @400bhp, Marathon's are no better than any other slick tyre in terms of tread (not puncture protection). You'll want aggressive off road knobbies if you want more traction. Studded marathon tyres are better for icy conditions, but unless they're knobbies, they're not much better than slicks in fresh snow, studs are for biting into ice. Given the choice between only slicks or marathon winters, in snow, I'd take the latter as there's likely to be ice about. However, if riding only on fresh snow, stick with knobbies. That said, I rode summer slicks in snow once and didn't spontaneously combust. Any tyre is fine so long as you ride appropriately for the conditions.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Rooster1 you are brave going out in the snow , as others have said fit a flap on to the bottom of the front guard and see what a difference that makes before declaring over shoes are not p to the job

Top Bottom