Got my Ice Adventure Folder Yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I putting my Moderator's hat on here - will you lot please pack it in and be more polite and friendly. I don't care what the history is between you all, the rudeness, bickering and downright public school boy responses are not needed or appreciated and if you don't pack it in, I will ban the member with an next unfriendly response from the thread, and anyone else after that matter.

Classic 33 has quoted a prior post of Mr Magoo's and commented himself "the magic of serial numbers"

I don't know as I don't have people on ignore but I imagine from your previous comments Mr M is one of several that you have set to ignore and I would suggest that this may have some impact on what you are seeing on-site.

With my moderators hat on I can assure you that there is no moderator input or alteration to that post.

(moderator hat off again)

If you de-ignore Mr Magoo does that give you the same view of the post that the rest of us have, with both Mr M's quote and C33's comment visible.

I am not by any means a trike officianado (sp?) but the latest comments Mr M is making cannot be described as aggressive or hostile or any of the negatives you have perceived previously. They are constructive, aimed at helping and advising you and have assisted me working out what and where trike noodles are ;)

As an impartial observer on this thread may I suggest you reconsider your ignoring of people with the experience to assist you in your quest to make a safe and roadworthy vehicle, as you are missing out on valuable advice and assistance, freely given and which is being confirmed by other posters with whom you do not appear to have an issue.

Two rather different attitudes from the moderators. Enjoying the thread in spite of the bickering, very informative.

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Two rather different attitudes from the moderators.
I don't see it that way. SNSSO has laid down the law on the bickering, from what I can see Mr Magoo has heeded that and is posting constructive and helpful advice that IMO it would be in Stearman's interest to see and (hopefully) take in the constructive manner in which it has been given.

The majority of my post is my personal opinion having looked in to observe and learn how the more experienced moderators handle a post with some friction involved.

My only moderator input is flagged up as such and to reassure Stearman that what he is seeing on the site is not of the moderators making.

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

There is another factor with Mr Magoo's postings that I don't want to go into on an open forum, suffice it to say they involve the use of my personal email address & third parties. So for now the bar remains.

classic33

Leg End Member
There is another factor with Mr Magoo's postings that I don't want to go into on an open forum, suffice it to say they involve the use of my personal email address & third parties. So for now the bar remains.
Neither he nor the moderaters have acccess to that information.

Have you considered that when change of ownership took place, your details, as listed by yourself, were passed on by the seller?

classic33

Leg End Member
You've posted how you've cleats(that caught on the rear of pedal cage) along with toe clips on a standard framed bike. Legs dangling underneath you. You've now moved to a lower posistion(with a cross member lower still) and your legs out in front of you, possibly slighty higher than your backside. But with nothing to keep your feet in place. At best they may just strike the ground, at worst the leg(s) may just be carried under the frame.

In the middle, you have have something like this
CAM00171.jpg

where the back of pedal met the the back of the leg earlier this year. When two idiots tried to turn me over. I've the benefit of four wheels, but that's a simple pedal strike, whilst using toe clips.

A polite request found on the BHPC forum I wonder if the racing boys and girls can offer a suitable solution ?

"I've bought a 2011 Ice Adventure, my wife has a Dahon C5 Ciao, I'd like her to try the trike as for sure as eggs are eggs she will come a cropper on the Dahon (she's 75 & old bones don't bend). She is 6 inches shorter than me so I thought a chain length compensator would enable her to try it & maybe persuade her to get a trike. The kit from Ice is very expensive, I did read the description of a home made where they had used a skate board wheel on a sprung bracket as a compensator. Has anyone done similar or any other ideas, possibly a fixed derailleur to use when the boom is retracted to take up the chain slack? "

Why complain about Mr Magoo(forum advice name ) (D.TEK selling name ) providing Email address and contact details to two fellow recumbent trike owners.
Who simply wanted to pass on advice and a wealth of information in a none commercial manner and both husband and wife teams have one trike each !
I've taken full page adverts in Velovision Magazine since issue one .
Of course I always trawl the small adverts for sales and wants .
Then I spot this chap broadcasting his direct Email to the world ??

WANTED ICE TADPOLE TRIKE OR SIMILAR WELL KNOWN MAKE. (1 reply)

Stearman65
1 week ago
Stearman65 1 week ago
Would pay up to £1000 for the right machine, preferably within 150 miles of PR9 UK. No home builds please. Email (Removed from this post but shown publicly elsewhere)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

You've posted how you've cleats(that caught on the rear of pedal cage) along with toe clips on a standard framed bike. Legs dangling underneath you. You've now moved to a lower posistion(with a cross member lower still) and your legs out in front of you, possibly slighty higher than your backside. But with nothing to keep your feet in place. At best they may just strike the ground, at worst the leg(s) may just be carried under the frame.

In the middle, you have have something like this
View attachment 145692
where the back of pedal met the the back of the leg earlier this year. When two idiots tried to turn me over. I've the benefit of four wheels, but that's a simple pedal strike, whilst using toe clips.
I think you are mixing me up with someone else, I haven't had toe clips or cleats for over 60 years, unless it's your English or punctuation. Please forget about me & my trike or I will have to banish you also. Find someone else to torment. The trike is folded up in the back of my van & won't be used until it's safe.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think you are mixing me up with someone else, I haven't had toe clips or cleats for over 60 years, unless it's your English or punctuation. Please forget about me & my trike or I will have to banish you also. Find someone else to torment. The trike is folded up in the back of my van & won't be used until it's safe.
Your own words on the matter
When I was cycling in my teens, 60 years ago I wore cycling shoes with cleats on the soles & toe clips with quick release straps. I did have a couple of instances where the bike slipped from under me & I didn't have time to release the straps & ended up in a heap with the bike on top of me. Obviously, things have changed in 60 years. I suppose it's a similar argument to the wearing of helmets, some do some don't. Maybe we should start a poll similar to the helmet debate & see what opinions others have?
I have, as far as I'm aware, not tormented you. I've passed on the advice of someone who owns and rides a recumbent as well as an upright two wheeler. The last post made by me, included a picture of what the pedal will do to the leg. Pedal wins every time, despite using toe clips. Having something unexpected happen does happen.
Sounds to me you need to take more care:hyper:
I've not sunk to that level yet. Your response to be me posting I'd been T-boned by car and side swiped by a bus. Two seperate incidents.

One last thing for you to do, whether you block me or not. Find a left hand derailleur(non drive side) and post the price up. They do exist, I've just had to replace mine.

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Your own words on the matter

I have, as far as I'm aware, not tormented you. I've passed on the advice of someone who owns and rides a recumbent as well as an upright two wheeler. The last post made by me, included a picture of what the pedal will do to the leg. Pedal wins every time, despite using toe clips. Having something unexpected happen does happen.

I've not sunk to that level yet. Your response to be me posting I'd been T-boned by car and side swiped by a bus. Two seperate incidents.

One last thing for you to do, whether you block me or not. Find a left hand derailleur(non drive side) and post the price up. They do exist, I've just had to replace mine.
If you've been following me since I became a member of the forum, you would know we have never ventured onto public roads, only pavements & parks. Once we have our transport sorted we will be touring the local traffic free cycle facilities only, so the likelihood of an accident you describe is very unlikely. I don't understand the statement about the L/H derailleur(non drive side), so cannot comment.

If you've been following me since I became a member of the forum, you would know we have never ventured onto public roads, only pavements & parks. Once we have our transport sorted we will be touring the local traffic free cycle facilities only, so the likelihood of an accident you describe is very unlikely. I don't understand the statement about the L/H derailleur(non drive side), so cannot comment.

If you choose not to use adequate foot retention when using your trike
The risk factor of foot slippage is actually increased on footpaths and trails and parks .
Some folk still refuse to wear car seat belts because they consider its not a risk
My 1930 Austin Seven Open tourer does not have seat belts and at best can just about keep up with fast trike riders
But I'am still at risk
At 90 mph on the motorways I have to use all three lanes and the hard shoulder because the steering is rubbish !
The last bit is untrue because the doors drop off at 55mph because of the suspect aerodynamics
Don't forget mechanics work better with tea and jaffa cakes and scones or is that scons (are you north or south ).
You said the ICE mudguards were overpriced ?
What result did you get at the local cycle shop , did they offer a cheaper solution ??
(D.TEK blantant advert = I have just broken up a damaged trike for spares and it has a full set of 2010 style used mudguards )

classic33

Leg End Member
I posted YOUR reply to someone else saying they'd been hit on this thread. You seemed to find that funny!

With regards the derailleur mounted on the left hand(non drive side), it's a standard part in a non standard world. That non standard world being that of recumbents. A world which you have now entered.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
By the way, @stearman65, what caused the damage to the back of my leg as per the picture. Two idiots who thought they'd have have a bit of fun by trying to turn me over.

They can be found anywhere.

Top Bottom