Got my Ice Adventure Folder Yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Listed on findthatbike though.
ftb.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Some prefer toe clips, others cleats. It's also legally classed as incomplete, the same as a bike. Loophole in the law.
Heel Plates or Cleats?

With regards the first not a lot that can be done when your level with the cab of a bus pulling away from a stop. The second, the driver was drunk, I got off lightly. In my opinion. SPLIT FROM Incident & Outcome
At our age swanning along on public roads is not in our remit, maybe the odd canal, but I don't think having our feet clamped to 20lb trike diving boots would improve our survival chances.:B)
Look what I found on ebay!!! Used to call me Fred Astair int pub.
upload_2016-9-25_23-41-9.png

Someone dug up my old cleats from the canal???:cold:
upload_2016-9-25_23-42-33.png

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Chain Tubes ???
You may not have the full set ....at the rear you should find two flexi rubber tubes approx 4" long top and bottom
Just in the folding hinge zone
From the rubber tube links a final pair of hard nylon tubes run rearwards to protect the rear stays towards the rear mech and cogs
Perhaps a picture showing the full driven side will reveal whats what .
SA facing inwards >>> the lever arms always face inwards except your picture shows them upside down which is quite wrong
But can be sorted in 4 mins and using two allen keys .....no doubt your trike expert will know exactly what to do
I've been doing some checking this morning about the claim that the brakes have been assembled incorrectly. While the ICE assembly manual gives dire warnings about this it doesn't pictorially specify exactly how & where to make sure the assembly is correct. Maybe you can be more specific?
upload_2016-9-26_7-17-31.png

A small clue about the SA backplate positioning and handing can be seen in the last image you have uploaded.
Do you recognise if the picture shows the left steerer assembly or the right ?

If you mean the image from the ICE manual? there is no indication if it's left or right. This picture is my trike from the AV show blown up to 100%. It's the r/h hub.
View attachment 145526
The SA backplate with the brake shoes and control lever as clearly seen on your Adventure has not been mounted correctly !
No iffs or buts ITS WRONG !
However it can be sorted out in mins if you have basic tools and a little common sense .
With any brake system , if you are unsure , take it to an expert rather than risking your self and other road users

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

I've never considered a recumbent myself, but I have to say I really liked the photos posted by @stearman65 and @SatNavSaysStraightOn - thanks both. Out of curiosity, how would the speed of these trikes compare to a road bike on the flat and hills?
I watched a video on Youtube a couple of days ago, a guy was on a trike while the rest of the group were on conventional bikes. The trike was faster downhill & on the flat but was overtaken uphill where the conventional bikes were able to exert more pressure on the pedals, which in my day was known a honking.

Reactions: JtB
OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

I've just braved the abysmal weather to go out to the van where my trike is stored to get some close ups of the brakes. As the trike is folded & I didn't want to haul it out in the open the pictures aren't the best. If anyone can spot the supposed problem please advise. I've also sent them & the original video to ICE for their comments.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eric_shepherd/albums/72157673218259910

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never considered a recumbent myself, but I have to say I really liked the photos posted by @stearman65 and @SatNavSaysStraightOn - thanks both. Out of curiosity, how would the speed of these trikes compare to a road bike on the flat and hills?
If the trike just happens to weigh the same as your favorite two wheel bike (It won't ...before you get too excited )
You could reasonably expect a 1% advantage because of slightly better aerodynamics at higher speeds (a two wheel recumbent may offer up to 5%)
Of course a Recumbent trike will kick ten bells out of an "Upwrong Trike" in terms of handling .
But the real winner is simple .............you can go for a ride and at the end ........... get off without walking around like a wild west cowboy !
So the number one reason to consider recumbents in all shapes and forms is COMFORT .

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Have a look. Do you really think the brakes were designed in such a way that when correctly fitted the name and text would be upside down?

Whoever fitted the brakes fitted them on the wrong side of the trike. The cable noodle should be on the bottom - not the top. The lever on which the brake cable pulls should be on the front of the wheel and face downwards. Here's some pictures of correctly set up brakes:

View attachment 145548

View attachment 145549

Spot the differences with yours?
Thanks for the pictures, but not the aggressive comments, come on lighten up. I got a reply from Ice see
Inspired Cycle Engineering <sales@icetrikes.co>
To
'E*** S*****'
Today at 14:58
Hi E***,
You have the left on the right and the right on the left. The arm of the brake should hang down rather than pointing up. Other than that they look right.
Thanks, Patrick Patrick Selwood, Inspired Cycle Engineering Unit 15**********etc.
A nice pleasant reply, no aggression.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I hope you have many happy hours with your trike. Please heed the advice given regarding sorting the brakes and some form of foot retention system.

Shortly after I received my trike I had a pedal cross threaded which came off (with foot attached) at a very insignificant speed (similar to your video) which resulted in my foot striking the ground and the front suspension arm striking the rear of my leg. The bruising was significant and I dread to think of the potential damage that may have occurred if I was traveling at 15+ mph.

Top Bottom