SPLIT FROM Incident & Outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Incident Description:
Coming home from work, approx 1900.
Having just let a bus pull out onto the main road I was on, I continued to cycle across the junction. Coming level with the "out" side of the junction. Aware of a vehicle, no lights, moving towards the junction. Halfway across this part & I then realise that he is now pulling out onto the road, with me in front of him. Wide junction so he could be going either way.
I end up getting shoved sideways, ending up on the bonnet of the car with the bike being pushed in front of the the car. Left leg trapped between car & bike frame & left foot still stuck in the pedal.

Two calls made to the police, one when the car had reversed off me & I'd managed to get back on my feet. The second a 999 when the driver, smelling of drink, approached telling me to stop calling the police. Police attended, although they later denied ever being there. Driver failed the breathalyser test.

Driver gave false details to the police, Car neither taxed nor insured at the time of the incident. Later found out that the driver wasn't insured either.

Any other information: (i.e. post the link to the video, google map etc)
Picture shows the full width of the junction

What action did the police take:
Police denied being there at the scene on the night. One officer even made a statement to that effect. Police not interested afterwards, "I was only a cyclist". Subject to hoax & malicous calls made by serving members of the police force over the incident. One set of calls were attributed to an Inspector, (By an Acting Chief Inspector).
"Warned" against trying to & trace the driver or the owner of the vehicle. Fell on death ears as I ended up giving the police information on both.

What action did the CPS (PF) take:
N/A
What action did the court take:
N/A
Any other comments:
Just prior to the case going to court, the owner named the driver on the night. Possibly as a result of this, his side decided against going to court and paid out. They were going to take me to court over the incident. It took a further six months before the police decided to settle their side of the case with me. Admiiting that what they had done to me shouldn't have been allowed to happen in the first place. Nor should it have been allowed to carry on once reported.

Link removed, picture showing the junction inserted instead.

Attachments

• What the link should have shown.jpg
    What the link should have shown.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 250

Moderators

Legendary Member
Split this off from Magnatom's original "Incidents and Outcomes" thread due to requests. Hopefully will get a copy of this put back into that thread too.

Jezston

Über Member
What ... wait ... wow what?!?

You were knocked over by a drunk driver, the police turned up ... then when you chased it up they denied attending? And then started harrassing you?!? What kind of hoax calls are we talking about here?

Was the driver a policeman or something?

How did it end up in court, through civil proceedings after managing to find out who it was?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
serving officer? unlikely. ex-copper with mates/relatives still on force? possibly. Snout? Quite likely.

I wonder what events led up to the owner deciding to name the driver.....

Bristol Dave

I was just reading on another 'site that the police drink-driving campaign was going well. This thread is a real shocker! I'm glad you got some sort of compensation if not some sort of justice.

BD

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Similar thoughts crossed my mind with regards the driver, later found out where he worked. Unable to prove that he had any relatives within the force.

I have the names of four police officers involved, PC, DC, Inspector(name supplied by a Acting DCI(now DCI).

Non-existent address given to the police on the night, by the driver. Queried this later & told that it didn't matter. Accident never logged with the Accident Clerks, so they have no record of it.

The only good piece of evidence to work with was the car registration, firmly implanted in my mind & part of it visible in the leg. Car found by chance the following week.

Paperwork in the form of the producer, was never issued on the night. Found by the same person(DCI), a year to the day after he said it had never been issued?

Shocking, police response is shocking

Can you go to the Police complaints commission? like that woman did who was bashed in the cell and was caught on CCTV?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Incident Description:
Coming home from work, approx 1900.
Having just let a bus pull out onto the main road I was on, I continued to cycle across the junction. Coming level with the "out" side of the junction. Aware of a vehicle, no lights, moving towards the junction. Halfway across this part & I then realise that he is now pulling out onto the road, with me in front of him. Wide junction so he could be going either way.
I end up getting shoved sideways, ending up on the bonnet of the car with the bike being pushed in front of the the car. Left leg trapped between car & bike frame & left foot still stuck in the pedal.

Two calls made to the police, one when the car had reversed off me & I'd managed to get back on my feet. The second a 999 when the driver, smelling of drink, approached telling me to stop calling the police. Police attended, although they later denied ever being there. Driver failed the breathalyser test.

Driver gave false details to the police, Car neither taxed nor insured at the time of the incident. Later found out that the driver wasn't insured either.

Any other information: (i.e. post the link to the video, google map etc)
Picture shows the full width of the junction

What action did the police take:
Police denied being there at the scene on the night. One officer even made a statement to that effect. Police not interested afterwards, "I was only a cyclist". Subject to hoax & malicous calls made by serving members of the police force over the incident. One set of calls were attributed to an Inspector, (By an Acting Chief Inspector).
"Warned" against trying to & trace the driver or the owner of the vehicle. Fell on death ears as I ended up giving the police information on both.

What action did the CPS (PF) take:
N/A
What action did the court take:
N/A
Any other comments:
Just prior to the case going to court, the owner named the driver on the night. Possibly as a result of this, his side decided against going to court and paid out. They were going to take me to court over the incident. It took a further six months before the police decided to settle their side of the case with me. Admiiting that what they had done to me shouldn't have been allowed to happen in the first place. Nor should it have been allowed to carry on once reported.

Link removed, picture showing the junction inserted instead.

Get on to the IPCC immediately....that is terrible.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Get on to the IPCC immediately....that is terrible.

Been there & the best they were able to do was record the fact that the police force in question failed to record the complaint made against them. Matter passed back for the force in question to deal with.

In the end up two officers already known, afore mentioned Inspector & DCI, dealt with the complaint. Nobody they spoke to remembers saying anything.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
What ... wait ... wow what?!?

You were knocked over by a drunk driver, the police turned up ... then when you chased it up they denied attending? And then started harrassing you?!? What kind of hoax calls are we talking about here?

Was the driver a policeman or something?

How did it end up in court, through civil proceedings after managing to find out who it was?

Two calls asking me to go down to the station to see a police officer, who wasn't on duty when I got there. One informing me that the investigating officer had died & no records had been kept, so there was nothing further they(the police) could do on the matter.

One from a person later identified as the Inspector. I was asked why did I want to do what I was doing & what did I hope to get out of it.

Most of the calls made in the early hours of the morning, using information that only the police should have had.

Civil action against the driver was what got it to the court stage. Don't know what made the owner name the driver on the night though, given the time since the incident.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the internal police complaints-handing, you are entitled to take it back to the IPCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom