Got my Ice Adventure Folder Yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

I'll echo what's been said above, and despite not being a trike, the "Beast O'Burden" will soon be getting a second homemade replacement set of these
View attachment 145470

With regards the damage that can be done, try this. Place one foot under the cross-boom and remove it, without either getting up or lifting the frame. Let us know how you get on.

I bought a Brox 10 & 1/2 years ago, the above is what the seller made me try. At any speed, your lower leg has every chance of being dragged under, should the foot and pedal part company.
When I was cycling in my teens, 60 years ago I wore cycling shoes with cleats on the soles & toe clips with quick release straps. I did have a couple of instances where the bike slipped from under me & I didn't have time to release the straps & ended up in a heap with the bike on top of me. Obviously, things have changed in 60 years. I suppose it's a similar argument to the wearing of helmets, some do some don't. Maybe we should start a poll similar to the helmet debate & see what opinions others have?

ICE front mudguards ? cost too much or do they ?
Actually a very fair price for a superb and refined design and because they offer single side mounting without flopping around .or rattling .
You can also deal with any puncture in a fuss free manner unlike some trike mudguard designs
Allowing full adjustment ,for most tyres, in every plain and yet can be removed by a single allen bolt on the front pair which are handed L+R
The rear has a matching profile and custom made s/s stays
Look forward to reading about the local cycle shop solution
You never know the "off Ebay " vendor may be offering some used ones for cash very soon !"£$%^
Forum members might suggest other methods or ideas

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

ICE front mudguards ? cost too much or do they ?
Actually a very fair price for a superb and refined design and because they offer single side mounting without flopping around .or rattling .
You can also deal with any puncture in a fuss free manner unlike some trike mudguard designs
Allowing full adjustment ,for most tyres, in every plain and yet can be removed by a single allen bolt on the front pair which are handed L+R
The rear has a matching profile and custom made s/s stays
Look forward to reading about the local cycle shop solution
You never know the "off Ebay " vendor may be offering some used ones for cash very soon !"£$%^
Forum members might suggest other methods or ideas
I asked him if he had mudguards before i bought it, so no there were none with it. I've spent a years pension excess buying the best trike I could find, spending another £160+ on a set of fancy looking mudguards that shed their paint after a while is not top of my shopping list. See the attached picture of an Ice trike that was for sale on Gumtree that I rejected, although it was a similar price." All that glisters, is not gold", so they say.
upload_2016-9-25_22-26-35.png

upload_2016-9-25_22-28-9.png

classic33

Leg End Member
When I was cycling in my teens, 60 years ago I wore cycling shoes with cleats on the soles & toe clips with quick release straps. I did have a couple of instances where the bike slipped from under me & I didn't have time to release the straps & ended up in a heap with the bike on top of me. Obviously, things have changed in 60 years. I suppose it's a similar argument to the wearing of helmets, some do some don't. Maybe we should start a poll similar to the helmet debate & see what opinions others have?
I think I can give the results now. One person saying the pedals alone are safe. Before you start any poll, try what I had suggested to me and I've placed here.

The big difference between a standard framed bike and a recumbent, with a front cross member/cross boom is that there is nothing to stop the lower leg going back under part of the frame. Which will leave you with little or no control, whilst trying to free a leg that is being dragged under the frame.

I've had a side shove from a bus onto a road that wasn't in use due to black ice. Me and the bike soon parted company, despite toe clips. More recently, 1900 hrs, 25th March 2005(I've no need to look that up), t-boned by a car and I'd say the the toe clips stopped me going down in front of him. I hit the bonnet.

I asked him if he had mudguards before i bought it, so no there were none with it. I've spent a years pension excess buying the best trike I could find, spending another £160+ on a set of fancy looking mudguards that shed their paint after a while is not top of my shopping list. See the attached picture of an Ice trike that was for sale on Gumtree that I rejected, although it was a similar price." All that glisters, is not gold", so they say.
View attachment 145481
View attachment 145482
Brillint pictures that reveal a custom machine built circa 2003
So that means more than ten years old going on on fifteen
( sounds like the lyrics of a famous song anyway back to the facts )
The mudguard frames at that point were steel and enamal painted
The current versions are alloy + powdercoated and have 3 point profile mounts
Of course you probably knew how old the machine was when you viewed it ?

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

You do not need toe clips, you need a 'foot retention' system on a recumbent trike or you run the risk of your foot slipping off and once your heel hits the ground your leg will be dragged underneath the cross member causing serious injury (bear in mind that you will be injured, possibly severely and experienced recumbent trike owners are telling you about this)

ICE would not have fitted those pedals to your trike (because they are extremely dangerous on an HPV of that design) so I suspect the fella you purchased the trike from removed the correct pedals and stuck a set from an old basic MTB.

(moderators you can remove this bit if it is deemed inappropriate)
You seem to be a very arrogant man and ignore advice given in good faith by well meaning members of this site, I sincerely hope you will listen this time, I don't want to hear that you have been injured by your new trike but don't come crying to us when it happens. :cursing:
Most adds you see for top of the range trikes say "minus pedals". Maybe that is how these got where they are?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
View attachment 145481
View attachment 145482
So you 'rejected' a superior disc brake version for a bit of minor surface rust. :crazy:

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

I think I can give the results now. One person saying the pedals alone are safe. Before you start any poll, try what I had suggested to me and I've placed here.

The big difference between a standard framed bike and a recumbent, with a front cross member/cross boom is that there is nothing to stop the lower leg going back under part of the frame. Which will leave you with little or no control, whilst trying to free a leg that is being dragged under the frame.

I've had a side shove from a bus onto a road that wasn't in use due to black ice. Me and the bike soon parted company, despite toe clips. More recently, 1900 hrs, 25th March 2005(I've no need to look that up), t-boned by a car and I'd say the the toe clips stopped me going down in front of him. I hit the bonnet.
Sounds to me you need to take more care:hyper:
You're very persistent, 2011 according to the serial number & ICE.

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

So you 'rejected' a superior disc brake version for a bit of minor surface rust. :crazy:
Don't jump to conclusions, shall we start another poll on brakes SA or disc???

midlife

Guru

Shoe plates :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Couldn't find any pictures of the death trap cleats I wore, so I've done a sketch.
upload_2016-9-25_23-7-12.png

Are you the so called approved Ice agent who is bombarding me with emails???

classic33

Leg End Member
Most adds you see for top of the range trikes say "minus pedals". Maybe that is how these got where they are?

Some prefer toe clips, others cleats. It's also legally classed as incomplete, the same as a bike. Loophole in the law.
Heel Plates or Cleats?
Sounds to me you need to take more care:hyper:
With regards the first not a lot that can be done when your level with the cab of a bus pulling away from a stop. The second, the driver was drunk, I got off lightly. In my opinion. SPLIT FROM Incident & Outcome

Last edited:
OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Some prefer toe clips, others cleats. It's also classed as incomplete.
Heel Plates or Cleats?

With regards the first not a lot that can be done when your level with the cab of a bus pulling away from a stop. The second, the driver was drunk, I got off lightly. In my opinion.
At our age swanning along on public roads is not in our remit, maybe the odd canal, but I don't think having our feet clamped to 20lb trike diving boots would improve our survival chances.:B)

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

If you mean your ADVENTURE was built in 2011 thats possibly correct
However if your suggesting the custom built ICE trike via gumtree is 2011
You are very much mistaken or nearly had your leg lifted by vendor !
I answered your question on mine, I've no idea how old the Gumtree one was. However I still have the pictures.
upload_2016-9-25_23-20-12.png

Top Bottom