Got my Ice Adventure Folder Yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I utilised my existing treat wheel with rohloff hub. The derailleur is there simply for chain tension as a result of the front derailleur and triple chain ring.
Rohloff and a triple chainring! You must have a gear for everything and some to spare, an absolute luxury set up.

Rohloff and a triple chainring! You must have a gear for everything and some to spare, an absolute luxury set up.
I already had the rohloff hub off my off road touring bike. Plus I got the trike after being left partially paralysed when a disc failed in my back and the nhs failed to react in time because I was the wrong age etc...
I still spend most of my life on the lowest gears.

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Someone also said the chain tubes were missing, they aren't. The trike is now home but my permanent van garage failed on it's first trip, (pneumatic rear suspension) so they've loaned me a Kangoo which only fits the Ice in folded. The only thing I can confirm is the chain tubes are there, Sturmey Archer front brakes with the actuating levers facing inwards. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll have a photo session.

Someone also said the chain tubes were missing, they aren't. The trike is now home but my permanent van garage failed on it's first trip, (pneumatic rear suspension) so they've loaned me a Kangoo which only fits the Ice in folded. The only thing I can confirm is the chain tubes are there, Sturmey Archer front brakes with the actuating levers facing inwards. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll have a photo session.

Chain Tubes ???
You may not have the full set ....at the rear you should find two flexi rubber tubes approx 4" long top and bottom
Just in the folding hinge zone
From the rubber tube links a final pair of hard nylon tubes run rearwards to protect the rear stays towards the rear mech and cogs
Perhaps a picture showing the full driven side will reveal whats what .
SA facing inwards >>> the lever arms always face inwards except your picture shows them upside down which is quite wrong
But can be sorted in 4 mins and using two allen keys .....no doubt your trike expert will know exactly what to do

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Chain Tubes ???
You may not have the full set ....at the rear you should find two flexi rubber tubes approx 4" long top and bottom
Just in the folding hinge zone
From the rubber tube links a final pair of hard nylon tubes run rearwards to protect the rear stays towards the rear mech and cogs
Perhaps a picture showing the full driven side will reveal whats what .
SA facing inwards >>> the lever arms always face inwards except your picture shows them upside down which is quite wrong
But can be sorted in 4 mins and using two allen keys .....no doubt your trike expert will know exactly what to do
Not my pictures & seller admitted they were original pics from when he bought it, I think the full tubes are there according to the manual, will confirm when I can get it out of the van.

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Despite a wet & windy Sunday morning, I couldn't wait to try the trike, mainly to justify the expense & commitment to triking. We moved the loan van to a more suitable spot on our car park, laid a spare boot floor rubber mat down (ex Picasso), put the van ramp down & carried out the folded Ice Adventure & placed it on the mat. Unfortunately the previous owner had ravaged the hubs on the front wheels with his single handed assembly on tarmac. I then set the handle bars & positioned the seat to what I remembered reading in the assembly instructions. A quick photo session which will probably answer the queries posed by others, then off I set up our car park with my wife on the camera. Unfortunately, the first two video attempts were with the wrong setting on the camera, then, third time does it, which is shown at the beginning of the attached AV, which incidentally is on Vimeo as my last Youtube upload was such poor quality.

View: https://vimeo.com/184203382

Last edited:
Despite a wet & windy Sunday morning, I couldn't wait to try the trike, mainly to justify the expense & commitment to triking. We moved the loan van to a more suitable spot on our car park, laid a spare boot floor rubber mat down (ex Picasso), put the van ramp down & carried out the folded Ice Adventure & placed it on the mat. Unfortunately the previous owner had ravaged the hubs on the front wheels with his single handed assembly on tarmac. I then set the handle bars & positioned the seat to what I remembered reading in the assembly instructions. A quick photo session which will probably answer the queries posed by others, then off I set up our car park with my wife on the camera. Unfortunately, the first two video attempts were with the wrong setting on the camera, then, third time does it, which is shown at the beginning of the attached AV, which incidentally is on Vimeo as my last Youtube upload was such poor quality.

View: https://vimeo.com/184203382

So checklist:stop:
Proper pedals or pre book a seat at A & E
Add the missing chain tube at the rear or simply ignore and risk sawing through the rear frame whilst riding or during folding
Attend to the SA brakes before you venture onto public roads or claim everybody else is completely wrong
Find some mudguards or close your mouth on corners in the rain:rain:

So ensure the trike is safety checked by an expert and then you enjoy your cycling ADVENTURES !:sun:

At front end the cable run is wrong:stop:
The guide noodle should pass through the boom tube lower or bottom side then exit via the top hole
Otherwise choose to ignore and you will have poor shifting and the gear cable will wear and fail sooner or later :cry:

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Add the missing chain tube at the rear or simply ignore and risk sawing through the rear frame whilst riding or during folding
Attend to the SA brakes before you venture onto public roads or claim everybody else is completely wrong

So ensure the trike is safety checked by an expert and then you enjoy your cycling ADVENTURES !:sun:
What is wrong with the pedals?

What is wrong with the pedals? apart from no toe clips? I assume the missing chain tube is historic & didn't notice any contact with the frame during my trial. Check my post post re chain length adjuster. I've already said mudguards are at the top of my wish list, but I won't be paying Ice prices. Local bike shop tomorrow. SA brakes need more inspection, which will be done before any serious triking. Is there anything you do like or is it sour grapes that I didn't buy from you?

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

At front end the cable run is wrong:stop:
The guide noodle should pass through the boom tube lower or bottom side then exit via the top hole
Otherwise choose to ignore and you will have poor shifting and the gear cable will wear and fail sooner or later :cry:
Will check that with the assembly manual, rain stopped play!!!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What is wrong with the pedals?

What is wrong with the pedals? apart from no toe clips?

You do not need toe clips, you need a 'foot retention' system on a recumbent trike or you run the risk of your foot slipping off and once your heel hits the ground your leg will be dragged underneath the cross member causing serious injury (bear in mind that you will be injured, possibly severely and experienced recumbent trike owners are telling you about this)

ICE would not have fitted those pedals to your trike (because they are extremely dangerous on an HPV of that design) so I suspect the fella you purchased the trike from removed the correct pedals and stuck a set from an old basic MTB.

(moderators you can remove this bit if it is deemed inappropriate)
You seem to be a very arrogant man and ignore advice given in good faith by well meaning members of this site, I sincerely hope you will listen this time, I don't want to hear that you have been injured by your new trike but don't come crying to us when it happens. :cursing:

classic33

Leg End Member
I'll echo what's been said above, and despite not being a trike, the "Beast O'Burden" will soon be getting a second homemade replacement set of these
Heel Plate.jpg

With regards the damage that can be done, try this. Place one foot under the cross-boom and remove it, without either getting up or lifting the frame. Let us know how you get on.

I bought a Brox 10 & 1/2 years ago, the above is what the seller made me try. At any speed, your lower leg has every chance of being dragged under, should the foot and pedal part company.

Last edited:
Top Bottom