Got my money's worth ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
2015 Astra petrol, 58k miles, brought it at 12k miles I think and it was just less than 1 year old...started ovccasionally missing a beat on acceleration , got worse today...
I havnt changed spark plugs since I got it, I assume it may have had a new set on its first service before my ownership...but I wouldnt be surprised if they're original.
Ah well, maybe it's time. £22.00, 20 minutes in the dark, new plugs, runs a lot better with a quick blast.

Those gaps are about 2mm :ohmy::tongue:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've ridden through narrower gaps than those.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I had exactly the same issue on an astra with the 1.6 ecotec engine, I changed the plugs but the problem was pitting/corrosion between one of the plugs and the HT connection. Your plugs won't have been changed at 12k.

Levo-Lon

Guru
The CHP engineer set the new plug gaps to 42tho when servicing our CHP generator.

Sure enough it started cutting out miss firing after a short while, 1500 quid service oil ,filters and plugs ..

Guess what, £500 call out plus parts.:laugh:

I told him I set the plugs back to 28tho and it's now perfect..wankeer

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Spark plugs generally last a long time in modern cars. My wife's car haven't been changed - certainly not since we bought it. Coming on 6 years old. Reason, flaming difficult to get to, the whole intake (including cylinder intake) has to come off and new gasket fitted (loads of bolts). Stupid design. Must change them this year though.

I don't mind removing engine covers and HT leads, and the air filter, but this is the intakes direct to the engine - simple job quadrupled in time.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Errrrr, the sparkplugs are inside the cylinder (unless it's a diesel with 'glowplugs')
You're right, of course :blush:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I can hardly stand the extravagance! Clean them up and reset the gaps and I reckon there's another 20k in those plugs.....

EDIT: Are you insured with Direct Line by any chance? :rolleyes:
Truth is you're probably right, they are very clean. Direct Line ?...I'm trying to get the connection ?^_^ actually I will be with them as of 1st Feb
Aha, I see now, the letter and postcode under the plugs....

Last edited:
Top Bottom