Got myself a new folder, but not a Brompton in the end!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Binka

Über Member
Picked this Phillips Folda up for £20. It's in amazing condition to think its late 79s or early 80s? Thought it's worth a try for the money.

Attachments

• IMG_1984.PNG
    IMG_1984.PNG
    344.2 KB · Views: 180
My elder sister had something like that I don't think it got folded much :becool:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Picked this Phillips Folda up for £20. It's in amazing condition to think its late 79s or early 80s? Thought it's worth a try for the money.
Fab!

I have the same bike branded as a BSA.
Don’t bother folding them, they’re hopeless. But they’re crackng machines. Have done 60 miles in one go on mine without issue.
One thing is that the seatposts tend to come up a bit short but thankfully longer modern ally ones are available.

Lock it up with a half decent lock though, they are becoming collectable.

I have a Phillips folder to restore which is a rebranded Raleigh 20!

Enjoy your bargain.

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
Hmmm, I need it for the work commute so either need to fold it on the train or lock it at the station overnight. Must admit I would be sad if it was pinched, seems like a cracking little bike and I do have a soft spot for retro bikes.

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
The bloke selling it folded it really quickly, must admit it doesn't click together like a Brompton so will need some sort of bungee and it obviously isn't as small as a Brompton. But it seems manageable? If it isn't I will be getting a Brompton.

Fab Foodie

The bloke selling it folded it really quickly, must admit it doesn't click together like a Brompton so will need some sort of bungee and it obviously isn't as small as a Brompton. But it seems manageable? If it isn't I will be getting a Brompton.
Only one way to find out!

12boy

Guru
Perhaps you already are familiar with "Sheldon Brown's Raleigh Twenty" pages but if not you might enjoy them. He obviously loved modifying them and has a lot of info on rebuilding and restoring them. BTW, Velo Orange has a threadless bottom bracket that is pretty nice if yours is shot and you can't get parts. He has a particularly tasty (to me, anyway) fixed gear twenty that looks like great fun.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Lovely bike and looks in good nick too considering the age.
If it ends up being too much of a pain folding it I'm just going to leave it locked at the train station overnight. See how long it lasts.
Please don’t be tempted to do this it’ll likely just get vandalised and that would be a shame.

You can't argue with hub gears for a commuting bike. Brakes though are another matter. I think these are called U frames and not sure if the frames were made in the UK. It might be an Italian frame import or possibly from eastern Europe even if the bike was assembled in the UK. In my opinion the Raleigh Twenty is a much better bike, feels better to ride, stronger more rigid frame. The U frame was a simpler and cheaper frame design to manufacture and was used by a wide range of companies across Europe.

Fab Foodie

You can't argue with hub gears for a commuting bike. Brakes though are another matter. I think these are called U frames and not sure if the frames were made in the UK. It might be an Italian frame import or possibly from eastern Europe even if the bike was assembled in the UK. In my opinion the Raleigh Twenty is a much better bike, feels better to ride, stronger more rigid frame. The U frame was a simpler and cheaper frame design to manufacture and was used by a wide range of companies across Europe.
The U frame (whilst I agree) is not as good as the 20, it works perfctly well for it’s designed task, short commutes, lught shopping etc. Having ridden one over fairly long distances they are comfortable (moreso than a Brompton) and joyous to ride. A 20 would be better for touring though. Other than that the U frame is fine.

I would add the caveat that as you say there are many different qualities of U frame depending in where it was made.
As I said earlier that is identical to my BSA so quality should be good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom