Got myself a recumbent trike :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Always Cross

Veteran
50k this morning, Fun but a bit slow. Used spds and they were OK if a bu**er to clip in.
Will see when I go a bit further. I've never liked having my feet fixed in the same place for long.
Tomorrow will be the test. Need 200k to keep my rrty going. Shall give it a try fingers crossed
Hi you need to make sure your feet are attached to the pedals either clipped in or by using toe clips and straps. If your feet come off while your pedaling they can go under the trike causing a nasty injury and possibly a 999 job to hospital.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
50k this morning, Fun but a bit slow. Used spds and they were OK if a bu**er to clip in.
Will see when I go a bit further. I've never liked having my feet fixed in the same place for long.
Tomorrow will be the test. Need 200k to keep my rrty going. Shall give it a try fingers crossed
I've swapped to SPDs since I got my trike and I also find them more of a faff to clip into than road pedals. It doesn't matter on a trike though as you clip in before moving and you don't need to unclip again till you get off. I could never get on with them on a road bike because of the fiddly clip in.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
20160228_162339.jpg
I was rather hoping it would have some mudguards to match the back one
Will have to find some but being a (I believe ) a one off frame it might prove a bit tricky
Any ideas you all have would be most welcome
The brackets supplied with Performers are the worst part of the package and consequently I made my own replacements - using theirs as a pattern. I have made a few sets for other Performer owners too. As for mudguards I bought 2 pairs of 20" mudguards from Rutland Cycles. Nice Chromoplastic ones that were very cheap. I used both front mudguards and mounted them so that what would have been the front of the mudguard is at the back. I used the central mounting bracket to mount red reflectors on (having bent them to the right angle) The photo shows what mine look like and the strange flaps at the bottom, which I made from an old A4 file, dramatically reduce the amount of mud etc. that gets sprayed on my hands. My metal work skills are nowhere near as good as the person's who made your trike, so if you can locate him and get some from him do - but if you get really stuck send me a pm and I will try and sort some out for you. Have fun on your trike!

OP
OP
fatjel

fatjel

Veteran
Thanks for that @mrandmrspoves . Hopefully today I will get the guys email and know a little more.
Having looked at prices for trike mudguards though I think I'll likely go down your route and try and make some brackets
I have to get the trike through the back gate sideways so mudguards are going to suffer
A quick release set would be favourite

OP
OP
fatjel

fatjel

Veteran
Got in touch with the guy who built my trike ,
Barry Coleman ,he lives about 25 miles away so maybe go visit one day.
We had a nice chat on the phione and as I understand it he built the frame
and most of the mechanical parts , seat and stuff are from ICE
Has a 9-32 cassette !!! and 22/36/50

Me and the trike have now covered 236 km together in our first week
Longest ride was 92 k which if I'm honest is the hardest work I've done in decades
As ever all the mechanic problems have been self inflicted
IE one bolt came out of a cleat. Unclipping was kinda impossible
Trying to remove my overshoe and shoe with one hand was such fun.
Especially as I'd stopped for a much needed wee
Memo to me check those bolts is tightish
Still waiting for it to get easier lol

mustang1

Legendary Member
Very nice, congrats!

Say, this gives me an idea. Mrs Mustangs been talking about getting a new dining table and I see you can eat your dinner sitting on the trike....

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Hi you need to make sure your feet are attached to the pedals either clipped in or by using toe clips and straps. If your feet come off while your pedaling they can go under the trike causing a nasty injury and possibly a 999 job to hospital.

I rode my ICE trike for a long time and never had this problem. In fact I have never heard of anyone having this problem with an ICE trike. Where did you get this information?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It's a trike thing generally, not ICE specific.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Can you put your jacket on back-to-front ?
It would mean you have a 'solid' front to the wind and might be easier to put on. :okay:

OP
OP
fatjel

fatjel

Veteran
Not sure that would work @Scoosh ..
I have a kinda brace thing and it digs into the broken bone if I wear anything tight
Same for my lovely warm bib tights they dig in the bit that hurts
I see your from Edinburgh.. It'd probably be shirt sleeve weather for you down here where the softys dwell

Not sure that would work @Scoosh ..
I have a kinda brace thing and it digs into the broken bone if I wear anything tight
Same for my lovely warm bib tights they dig in the bit that hurts
I see your from Edinburgh.. It'd probably be shirt sleeve weather for you down here where the softys dwell

I find that the Paramo Velez works brilliantly for recumbents... for me the ultimate recumbent inclement weather jacket

No back zips to snag the seat, and two options depending on how hot you are when you cycle

Finally not a close aerodynamic design, so may also sit your purposes

OP
OP
fatjel

fatjel

Veteran
I am realising that regular cycling clothes won't work.so well on the trike.
I have a berghaus gore tex walking jacket I shall try next but those Paramo Valez ones do look kinda perfect
I shall have to let the shock of the fence remodeling needed to get the trike in and out subside before I buy any new pressies tho

Being cold is a small price to pay .. I thought I was looking at 10 -12 weeks not cycling

Top Bottom