Got myself a recumbent trike :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fatjel

fatjel

Veteran
Two weeks and just past 500km..
Went on a club run and was keeping up much better
until the left front brake decided to stick on
When I stopped I could release the brake by hand
Was only recently someone said "those Sturmey Archer hub brakes never need maintainance"
I'm guessing there is a return spring in there that's failed
Not much info online that I've found so far.
I shall take it to bits in the morning and have a look

Any helpfull tips more than welcome

starhawk

I am realising that regular cycling clothes won't work.so well on the trike.

You are right on that! I have sourced recumbent cycling clothes from various firms, they are out there you just have to look for them.

Cold Snail

Über Member
More than likely the cam inside may have rusted a little bit or have brake dust/grease gunk on it.
Roll the wheel the other way and it sometimes frees off as a temporary fix.

You are right on that! I have sourced recumbent cycling clothes from various firms, they are out there you just have to look for them.
Most will

All you need to be careful of is zips that are on a rear pocket as these can damage the seat

I tend to go for "outdoor" clothing more as it can be more functional.

A "fisherman's" or "photographer's" vest can take care of he lack of pockets

Edited, and any trouser pockets MUST be zipped or the contents wil end up on the floor

Last edited:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I rode my ICE trike for a long time and never had this problem. In fact I have never heard of anyone having this problem with an ICE trike. Where did you get this information?

A known risk with Tadpole trikes,and severe injuries have been known. Do an Internet search for "leg suck" (don't search for foot suck unless you want to learn about weird fetishes)

Last edited:
...the clipping in thing on trikes is a must-do necessity - not doing so could leave you crippled.

Had a small taste of what could happen when out on my mk1 trike couple of years back. It only had a rear rim brake which was pretty lousy, and I was in the habit of dropping my feet to the road for the last few yards to bring to a stop. At about walking pace my foot caught a bump on the road and went under the crossbar. I was thrown forward in an instant, took the skin off big toe and twisted foot (only wearing sandals!).

At speed if my foot came off a pedal and under the bar ...........well, I hate to imagine.

My only item of dedicated bike gear are the SPD shoes I now use, just on the trike. Wouldn't trust myself with them on 2 wheels......

Last edited:

starhawk

Seems like a lot of persons are totally ignorant to the fact that SPD is just one of the things you can use to prevent leg suck. There are heel slings, platform pedals with heel support to name a few. I started out with SPD but never liked them, and you can damn near not walk in those shoes. I ended up with a platform pedal with heel support, they are definitely safer then the SPD, much more comfortable and yo can use any shoe you like, no staggering around on your heel with your toes in the air.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Seems like a lot of persons are totally ignorant to the fact that SPD is just one of the things you can use to prevent leg suck. There are heel slings, platform pedals with heel support to name a few. I started out with SPD but never liked them, and you can damn near not walk in those shoes. I ended up with a platform pedal with heel support, they are definitely safer then the SPD, much more comfortable and yo can use any shoe you like, no staggering around on your heel with your toes in the air.

Heel slings etc. are popular in the USA - but not readily available or known about in the UK where there are relatively few bent riders. The cleats you describe as SPD sound more like Road cleats (big ones with 3 fixings) standard SPD mountain bike type cleats (2 fixings) are partially recessed into the sole and easy to walk on - albeit you can sound a bit like a tap dancer.

starhawk

Heel slings etc. are popular in the USA - but not readily available or known about in the UK where there are relatively few bent riders. The cleats you describe as SPD sound more like Road cleats (big ones with 3 fixings) standard SPD mountain bike type cleats (2 fixings) are partially recessed into the sole and easy to walk on - albeit you can sound a bit like a tap dancer.

I had regular SPD and yes you can walk on them but not easy and for some shoes there ain't no recess. Then you come to stairs, really scary, I hade to hold on to both handrails during the climb.

OP
OP
fatjel

fatjel

Veteran
Have heard much talk of recumbent legs but no mention of recumbent toes..
Twp pairs socks, shoes and bbb overshoes and still my toes are freezing

Hospital today for xrays on the collarbone
5 weeks now since it broke and it's feeling pretty good
Can do most things now without too much pain

Top Bottom