Got put in my place

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Carwash said:

Tis amazing, innit? It happens quite often that I pass male cyclists (I don't like to hang about on my way home for dinner), and however much they were dawdling and enjoying the scenery before, they suddenly go into full-on race mode after I whizz past. Luckily for such guys round here I'm most often on an mtb, so it's usually possible to catch me up and preserve their egos (and it's also quite funny watching how much the effort hurts them). However, I've got a road bike now, which I'm using more and more, and I'm afraid some egos will just have to stay bruised. I hasten to add that not all male cyclists react in this ridiculous manner, but going by my experience I'd guess that nearly half of them do...

cupoftea

I love the summer, very distracting but enjoyable,

Last night headed east down the embankment, got held up by a set of lights, as the herd set off I spotted a young lady at the front and so did all the other blokes. The herd stuttered as it tried to work out whether to slot in behind or overtake, I had to laugh.

dudi

I don't know how I react if someone overtakes me... it's never happened.

not because i'm fast... just there's no other cyclist on my route.

GrahamG

Guru
If a female overtakes me, the only reason I might speed up is to enjoy the view. I really don't understand the whole ego competitive thing - I'm far too laid back for that (or maybe there's just enough folks out there slower than me ;))

Frustruck said:
by a gurl! Skinny blonde, mid-20s (hard to tell wi' shades and helmet though) on a studdy-tyred hardtail! Shoot me now.

I was cycling slowly home, she flashed past, I reacted and chased her down, but it was a bit of an effort keeping up, then we got to the bottom of a short 1-in 7 (the old tramway incline in Avenham Park, Preston) with narrow gates, where she promptly hopped off and walked up the incline. Argh! I was following so close I almost fell off as I had to stop as well. Kids these days...

hell,i didn't think it was 1 in 7 ;):smile::biggrin: you're supposed to watch the road not her arse:biggrin:

patheticshark

You realise if you guys stopped doing this constant 'girls in lycra shorts, let's all have a fiddle at the traffic lights and kill ourselves when they overtake us' thing there might be a few more female cyclists and everyone would be much happier.

I speak as a girl roadie who has enough to contend with putting up with cat calls and wolf whistles from white vans and boy racers all the freaking time.

Admittedly this place is not as bad as bikeradar but it is still lame. Please stop it.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I try to catch folk who overtake me, largely because it's a good excuse to put an extra rev in the cadence and push a bit. Sometimes I catch them, sometimes I don't - the only ones that bother me slightly are the ones that RLJ (cheats!)

I also tend to overtake people if I can because I'm worried they'll think I'm cheekily drafting them. (I'm not, honest!)

Incidentally, I've seen Shenaze Reade on my commute once (heading into Manchester as I was heading out) - gave her a wave (as I do to all cyclists) but got no response.

Twiggy

patheticshark said:
You realise if you guys stopped doing this constant 'girls in lycra shorts, let's all have a fiddle at the traffic lights and kill ourselves when they overtake us' thing there might be a few more female cyclists and everyone would be much happier.

I speak as a girl roadie who has enough to contend with putting up with cat calls and wolf whistles from white vans and boy racers all the freaking time.

Admittedly this place is not as bad as bikeradar but it is still lame. Please stop it.

*agrees whole heartedly*

Guys, we're not sex objects, we're people.

Carwash

Señor Member
Fair enough, but no need to tar all us chaps with the same brush.

Twiggy said:
Guys, we're not sex objects, we're people.

Equally, girls, we're not all sex-crazed unreconstructed misogynist pig-dogs.

(Just, y'know, some of us...)

Keith Oates

Janner
I think that is a fairly normal reaction to speed up if someone (male or female) overtakes you on the road. Sometimes it can end up as a good workout with both riders being happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'd just like to say that it's getting rather late!

Oh, and apart from that, despite not being female, I'd like to agree with patheticshark and twiggy if I may? And Carwash of course. I've always been embarrassed when guys I'm with do the wolf-whistling thing, so I can only imagine what it feels like to be on the receiving end of it.

As for being overtaken by Deb Murell on her MTB - I'd have been equally shocked to have been overtaken by a male rider doing 30 mph on knobblies, while drinking from a bottle!

we have a lot of women in the touring club so the novelty value wore off along time ago, especially when i was dropped on a climb by one of them so i'm going to agree with the ladies as well!

Top Bottom