Government Cycling Strategy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
I bet it is just a regurgitation.

Cycle profiiency grants has been going on for years, and considering TFL claim a spend of £100m per year for cycling, a £300m centralisded grand total sounds very low.

The government has a cycling strategy?
Yup.

They have an ambition for "a long-term transformative change process". Good. Brilliant. Spot on.

So what does it include?

- reduced funding;
- extending targets to 2040 (long after I'm gone!);
- and passing the buck to local authorities (whose funding has already been slashed).

Ah - perhaps not so much a "cycling strategy", as a "recycling vacuous hot-air strategy." And hoping we don't notice that there's a tiny discrepancy between £10 per head, and £1.13 per head.

Lets face it, our government doesnt have the right people for redesigning infrastructure of any sort. I mean Cameron or Brunel? Somehow I think cycling will be better off without government intervention. Government should stick to harassing people who drive a bit quickly or saving polo bears.

upload_2016-3-27_13-20-50.png

I know we are in Europe, and we should expect better, but after reading about what the NSW Government is doing in Australia, draconian fines enforced by belligerent public order police with a Government who speak as if cycling, like smoking and drinking, is an activity that is best for the community if it is repressed as much as possible, I'm at least happy the UK Government is paying lip-service to cycling.

(phew. what a long sentence!)

Top Bottom