Goyt Valley closed for the summer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Get up there next weekend while you still can.

The road from Errwood reservoir to Derbyshire Bridge will be closed to all traffic including cyclists from 24th May until *October*

For those who don't know it, it's one of my all time favourite roads to ride, so a real shame.

classic33

Leg End Member
Get up there next weekend while you still can.

The road from Errwood reservoir to Derbyshire Bridge will be closed to all traffic including cyclists from 24th May until *October*

For those who don't know it, it's one of my all time favourite roads to ride, so a real shame. View attachment 589119
There's no order number, required if you want to query it.
Also unsigned, and not dated.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Thanks for the heads up.

I wonder if there will be big notices when you leave Long Hill top or Windgather? If not there are going to be a lot of cyclists in for a very hard climb back out of the valley

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Thanks for the heads up.

I wonder if there will be big notices when you leave Long Hill top or Windgather? If not there are going to be a lot of cyclists in for a very hard climb back out of the valley
I imagine if you ignored the notice and rode it anyway you'd make it through with worst case a bit of walk round the odd obstruction. Its a bit odd closing it to cyclists for that reason, but I guess its a H&S thing, if there is forestry machinery kicking around.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I suspect/fear that the company doing all the forestry work will be well aware of the leisure use cyclists make of the road and will take steps to deter 'I'll see if I can get through' access. They're not just there for a few days. Sensible risk mitigation ('a H&S thing') is a reasonable way of reducing risk to life.

scoobs

Regular
It is what it is but still curious to know why. i.e. there’s been a hell of a lot of ‘forestry work’ surrounding HS2 and other types of major civil engineering projects. Could it be something underhand going on or simple forest management? Either way the reason is hardly transparent which always gives me cause for concern.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I suspect/fear that the company doing all the forestry work will be well aware of the leisure use cyclists make of the road and will take steps to deter 'I'll see if I can get through' access. They're not just there for a few days. Sensible risk mitigation ('a H&S thing') is a reasonable way of reducing risk to life.

I once tried to negotiate my way through a 'road closed' sign in the Teign Valley: having passed a few signs, I came across the part they were working on, with heavy machinery, and was told, in no uncertain terms to turn around. It was a fair cop... though I think it would be a good idea to include "...even for cyclists" on road closed signs, as we're a cheeky bunch.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've done a couple of closed roads of late, one they were doing patching resurfacing work, so I could slalom around the wet patches of tar and half a dozen workers stood around watching two colleagues doing the work, with a cheery "excuse me lads", which saved a 4 mile detour.

the second they were doing some sewer works almost on the junction, but there was pedestrian access to carry the bikes through, and then 3 miles of empty road (bar other cycles) to the next junction.

Top Bottom