Goyt Valley closed for the summer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Sometimes you can get through; occasionally you can't (bridges, f great trenches). Sometimes you can get over a fence into the field and bypass. Helps to have map access to check the options (ime). Quite often 'Road Closed' means several miles of lovely 'closed roads' free from other traffic.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sometimes you can get through; occasionally you can't (bridges, f great trenches). Sometimes you can get over a fence into the field and bypass. Helps to have map access to check the options (ime). Quite often 'Road Closed' means several miles of lovely 'closed roads' free from other traffic.

If the road is closed at Goyt valley, you aren't getting round it in most cases. Rocks one side, wall/drops other ! Or like the other week, 'bridge closed' - Ah, it will be OK. Nope, bridge was 'gone' and there was a river in the way for crossing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thanks for the heads up.

I wonder if there will be big notices when you leave Long Hill top or Windgather? If not there are going to be a lot of cyclists in for a very hard climb back out of the valley

You can get back out by heading along the Fernilee reservoir and back towards Fernilee (I believe) not been that way but my colleague did - he went 'down' The Street.

Ajax Bay

Guru
1621244941356.png

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Shoulder you bike and wade ^_^

Funnily enough, the same road was closed a few years ago, roadworks on the final bit up to Derbyshire Bridge.

My mate and I duly laughed, and rode up expecting to be able to walk through at the worst.

No chance. They'd put security fencing not just on the road but down to the river one side and way up the moor on the other side.

We had a century planned already, so a ten mile detour didn't appeal. We waded the river to get around.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just pretend it's cyclocross. Shoulder you bike and wade ^_^
We just managed to scramble round the earth bank on the left of the picture!
But you just had to go past the sign and find out for yourself. You wouldn't be told would you? Bloody cyclists.:smile:
That is absolutely what happened! We were on one of my forum rides and needed to go one of 2 ways. The way we went was supposedly closed but I suggested that we would probably be able to sneak through.

We were following the road marked by the dashed pink line from the cattle grids. We could have taken the other road marked by the dashed orange line, which would only have been 400 metres further. The thing is, the climb that way is significantly tougher so I thought we stick to plan A! :laugh:

The 'pothole' is indicated by the green star.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Had planned to include this in a ride at some point this year.It will have to wait now:angry:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Getting nearer to being On Topic (but not quite)... :whistle:

I was doing a long day ride once (Coventry to Hebden Bridge) and got to Ladybower reservoir. I had intended to turn left to go over Snake Pass but there was a (really effing helpful!) sign saying "Snake Pass closed for roadworks - take alternative route", without any hint of which route that would be... I toyed briefly with risking it and heading for the Pass anyway, but that is a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng climb and I didn't fancy having to come all the way back down if I really could NOT get through at the top.

I didn't have a map, but I remembered the route over Strines Moor and went that way instead. (A tough alternative! :eek:)

Top Bottom