GPS with DIY mapping recommendations......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cheshirerob

Currently using a garmin edge 130 but looking to upgrade.

Looking for something that has the features of the 130 but also navigation with map. Ideally something I can easily create specific routes on my computer or ipad and transfer these to the gps. Something accurate, reliable and with reasonable battery life.

Any advice please?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you want to stick with Garmin then the 530 is a very well received device.

OP
OP
cheshirerob

cheshirerob

You have a variety of options of pretty much any app. I use Strava, others use Ridewithgps, in the past I used plotaroute and Garmin Connect itself.

Excellent, thanks for that.

Ill nip down to my lbs on saturday to see if they have an edge 530 in stock 👍🏻

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Any Wahoo which fits your budget and route plan on RWGPS along with several other sources.

The Wahoos are simple to set up and, accurate, good battery life and in my experience to date completely reliable. I can't say the same about the various Garmins I've owned.

Have a look at the reviews before rushing down to your LBS. The Wahoo is a far superior product.

mikeIow

Guru
Any Wahoo which fits your budget and route plan on RWGPS along with several other sources.

The Wahoos are simple to set up and, accurate, good battery life and in my experience to date completely reliable. I can't say the same about the various Garmins I've owned.

Have a look at the reviews before rushing down to your LBS. The Wahoo is a far superior product.
I invested in the colour Wahoo Roam a while back....it is a great device!
A pal who does short tours quite a bit was a Garmin user, got the Wahoo Bolt and raved about how much better it was. decent battery life, good led + mild beep system to warn of upcoming junctions.
Still waiting for tighter integration with cycle.travel (coming, I am told!), but works with the others mentioned.

That said, if you are happy with the Garmin, check the reviews and stick with it: they do appear to be the main kids in town for this game!

I would echo the Wahoo experience, but I can’t compare to Garmin.
RWGPS planning to the Wahoo has worked flawlessly, taking us without issue from Dieppe to Paris, and other, more local routes too.
I do planning on an iPad and have had no issues.
It’s worth a look at least.

OP
OP
cheshirerob

cheshirerob

Hmmm I had better have a look first then, never really heard of wahoo for this application, apart from the smart trainers. Then again I've not been looking until now.

Thanks for the info 👍🏻

Am still undecided after reading some of the comments on cyclechat, whether wahoo is a box of tricks or a religion.
I use a garmin etrex 20 /20x - does everthing I need. Have done rides of 150 miles on it, much in the dark.

Top Bottom