GPS with DIY mapping recommendations......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It has a
No, this is describing the workaround for sites not supported by Wahoo.

For supported sites, like Strava, Komoot and RWGPS, you just plan your route on the site. Getting the routes on the device is a simple matter of pressing the Sync button on the head unit and it imports all routes from all the supported sites. You need no knowledge of file names, filetypes, anything. To use a Chromebook analogy, it is the same as adding a bookmark on one signed-in device and it being available on another signed-in device (except you need to manually press a button with the Wahoo to do that sync).

Yes. Sorry if that wasn't clear. For the avoidance of doubt, I am very happy with my Wahoo.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have a Edge 530 and it's fantastic. I do my routes on Strava and they upload directly to the device.

if you don't use the Strava maps function then Garmin Connect is a decent enough option for routes.

My mate has a Wahoo and it uses Komoot for routes - says it's gash and has now paid for Strava so he can use that instead.
Komoot is about gash with anything, unless you like gravel riding. Tell your mate to get Ridewithgps or Maplocs and the Wahoo will be much better.

I have had a few Garmins but now use a Wahoo Bolt. I find Wahoo far easier to operate, it does not just cut out when it feels like it and moving files from one device to another is simple. It is very reliable.

Last edited:
Komoot is about gash with anything, unless you like gravel riding. Tell your mate to get Ridewithgps or Maplocs and the Wahoo will be much better.

I have had a few Garmins but now use a Wahoo Bolt. I find Wahoo far easier to operate, it does not just cut out when it feels like it and moving files from one device to another is simple. It is very reliable.
gash?
I realised it was a cult but not a sex cult.

GoldenLamprey

gash?
I realised it was a cult but not a sex cult.
This thread is exactly the same as all the other computer advice threads. Garmin users are split between those who would not touch them again and those who never had any problems in ten years of ownership, Wahoo users love the 'just works' devices, and you push the Etrex/extoll the virtues of AA batteries/refer to Wahoo as a cult or religion :rolleyes:

This thread is exactly the same as all the other computer advice threads. Garmin users are split between those who would not touch them again and those who never had any problems in ten years of ownership, Wahoo users love the 'just works' devices, and you push the Etrex/extoll the virtues of AA batteries/refer to Wahoo as a cult or religion :rolleyes:
not really true to be honest - there are some "particularly fervent" wahoo posts - i may even be able to find some - I fully admit I have never used a Wahoo but the tone of some of the posts on them amuses me.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

You also have those who’ve had nothing but problems with Wahoo. A real mix really.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think you choose what works for you. The good thing with Wahoo coming on the scene is that Garmin has had to up their game.

I have not heard of anyone going back to Garmin once they have bought a Wahoo

I think you choose what works for you. The good thing with Wahoo coming on the scene is that Garmin has had to up their game.

I have not heard of anyone going back to Garmin once they have bought a Wahoo
you've mellowed steve :smile:

mikeIow

Guru
You also have those who’ve had nothing but problems with Wahoo. A real mix really.
Can’t say I recall seeing reviews from people “who’ve had nothing but problems with Wahoo” ?

Someone here grumbled about Komoot - the mapping app, separate to the device - I thought that was best for off-roading from what I read - either way, that is separate to the device being used!

Okay, you have to find your planning app: many go with RideWithGps, my preference is cycle.travel.
It makes perfect sense to me to do that on a smartphone rather than the GPS device, & sending to the Wahoo is a doddle.
I think @PaulSB summed it up well here.

I’m sure many are happy with Garmin, & if that is all you have used and it works, why not!
I have, however, read many more reviews where it caused grief.
I think Wahoo have the benefit of coming in after Garmin had blazed a trail: they could see a gap for a reliable unit with reliably decent battery life. No doubt Garmin has improved, and if they suit you, great!

I came to this late, but I do have an old, slow and clunky Teasi unit that kind of worked, I’ve used Spot trackers forDofE Gold teams, so I knew that reliability and battery life were perhaps my top requirements, with ease of use and “usability” next.
Wahoo won me over after a bit of research (including chatting to my pal who had used both!). Does that make me a “fanboy”? I guess so, but I’m happy to read reviews from folk who are equally happy with their other devices.

GoldenLamprey

Can’t say I recall seeing reviews from people “who’ve had nothing but problems with Wahoo” ?
That's because there is nothing notable regarding Wahoo problems - of course some have issues with Wahoo devices, like any technology, but simply not on the scale of Garmin. Wahoo must have a sizeable presence in the market now, judging by how many owners I know, so this cannot be just down to Garmin market share.

I suspect the post was made 'in the interests of balance' :smile:

I have no skin in this game (I'm a happy eTrex user, and they may as well not exist in the GPS WAR debates). But here's a hypothesis to yell at anyway:
A product sells in the thousands, with failure/bug rates typical of electronics. The victims grumble, the lucky stay quiet.
New product arrives, with a similar reliabilty level. All those who were unlucky with the old thing jump to buy the new thing; ON AVERAGE they will find it more reliable.

Discuss! :P

I have no skin in this game (I'm a happy eTrex user, and they may as well not exist in the GPS WAR debates). But here's a hypothesis to yell at anyway:
A product sells in the thousands, with failure/bug rates typical of electronics. The victims grumble, the lucky stay quiet.
New product arrives, with a similar reliabilty level. All those who were unlucky with the old thing jump to buy the new thing; ON AVERAGE they will find it more reliable.

Discuss! :P

It's a variation of reversion to the mean and is bound to have some effect.
But, the effect will be dampened by the people who "buy the new thing" without ever having owned the old thing.

Top Bottom