GPS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1962

andym said:
I'm intrigued by the dynamo charger, but unfortunately I get a 'suspected malware' warning from that site. Is it just me?

I don't get any such warning. I'm running IE7 with the phising filter on, and McAfee Security Center. What is giving you that message?

Will

andym

Über Member
Google Safe Browsing:

What is the current listing status for 193.111.244.0?
This site is not currently listed as suspicious.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?
Of the 196 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 0 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2009-03-04, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2009-03-04.
Malicious software includes 338 trojan(s), 212 scripting exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 0 new processes on the target machine.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS24589 (TELENETSIA).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?
Over the past 90 days, 193.111.244.0 appeared to function as an intermediary for the infection of 24 site(s) including crisspvisions.com/, gehoersturz.de/, onedollarlatinlover.com/.

Has this site hosted malware?
Yes, this site has hosted malicious software over the past 90 days. It infected 491 domain(s), including p2pforum.it/, indeni.org/, avesdepuertorico.org/.

Next steps:
Return to the previous page.
If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.

The German language part of the site seems to be OK.

andygates

jay clock said:
I am interested in more feedback on the Garmin Etrex Legend HCx and how you use it in conjunction with openstreetmap

Upload a route (GPX format) and it'll calculate from place to place. I find that over-detailed, and prefer to put in a few points, letting the Etrex work out the detail (you can set it to calculate for bike, so it will avoid motorways, but as with any routing, it can sometimes be utterly mental :ohmy: ).

>>I've just loaded openstreetmap onto my legend HCx and I must say I'm extremely disappointed with a) the appearance of the maps and :biggrin: the coverage in and around sheffield.

The OpenStreetMap project is about where wikipedia was in 2004 - the framework is there but the detail is still being filled in. The difference is that Joe Punter can fill it in. Otherwise you gotta wait for locals to do the mapping! Devon's villages are present but just as names, and it's one of my projects for the spring (along with others).

The ugliness is the same for the Garmin bought maps, it's a feature of the device. Try the "bright" map instead for different styles (I think they're gaudy: triathletes love them ;) ). Etrex mapping isn't beautiful because the device isn't a global superbrain.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
andym said:
I'm intrigued by the dynamo charger, but unfortunately I get a 'suspected malware' warning from that site. Is it just me?
I get the same.
Try here via google language tools, and stay clear of the English flag.

Cost €80 plus p+p
It's got an internal NiMh 5xAA power pack which it charges from the hub dynamo, and uses to charge whatever you plug into the USB port.

andym

Über Member
andrew_s said:
I get the same.
Try here via google language tools, and stay clear of the English flag.

Cost €80 plus p+p
It's got an internal NiMh 5xAA power pack which it charges from the hub dynamo, and uses to charge whatever you plug into the USB port.

Andrew - thanks. Fortunately the pictures are in English.

Plax

Guru
I'm going to hijack this thread if I may.

Basically I want something to act as a "training aid" - to log milage, heart rate, candence, speed etc.
I want to use it on my commute so it needs to be able to be used everyday and be waterproof.

I also want some kind of GPS for my weekend jaunts. I'll be looking at doing 50-100 mile day rides. I'm hopeless at map reading (must be a girl thing :blush:), so something easy to use for incompetant map reading numpties.

I was thinking something like the Garmin Edge 705. Would this fulfil my requirements (or the 605 - can't see that much difference between them to be honest).

Or would I be better off getting a mounting bracket and "borrowing" Mr Plax's satnav (Garmin Nuvi 250 with option for cycling) and looking at an alternative kind of training aid?

andym

Über Member
The Edge would do pretty much everything you want. The Edge is a bit less well-suited to long distance touring where you might want to store loads of trackpoints - but for what you want that's not an issue.

Bear in mind that it comes with a rechargeable li-polymer battery. Personally I hate the things because you end up having yet another charger and usually the batteries have to be replaced long before the gizmo itself has had its day, but I think you may be able to get an accessory that means you can power it with AA batteries.

The Edge 705 costs £245; you could get a decent eTrex Legend HCx, plus a cycle computer that will measure cadence, plus a qood-quality heart rate monitor for under £200. A lot of people would argue that it's worth paying £50 for the convenience of having everything in one box (and its also great for downloading all of your statistics to a computer), but if it goes wrong then everything goes wrong.

Bear in mind that if you want the full benefits of routeability (not sure if that's the right word - but being able have directions - eg 'turn left in 100 metres') you need to spring for the Garmin City Navigator software (someone may correct me, but I think this is the case). Personally I paid extra for the DVD version so I can plan routes on the PC and then download to the GPS. (Get it direct from Garmin - they are a lot cheaper than anyone else).

Top Bottom