GPS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mickwood

Hi folks!

I'm just thinking about whether there are any bike mounted GPS/Mapping systems? I'd like to do a bit of biking in the various places I go around the UK so think it may be a worthwhile purchase but just wouldn't know where to start!? I'd want -

Map for the whole of the UK (not just one area)
Programmable for a chosen route
Small enough not to be a hassle!
Easy to read - colour screen
Waterproof
Oh and cheap as chips!! lol! (although I'd guess to get a good one would not be cheap!?)

Anyone used the Nokia N95 with the gps thing in it?

Cheers

Mick

Will1985

Über Member
Garmin is a popular choice - 605 or 705. Mapping is expensive, but the open source maps are good from the one ride I used them before the crash.

Unfortunately I don't think you'll find anything 'cheap' which satisfies all your criteria: £150 minimum unless you have an N95.

OP
OP
M

mickwood

Will1985 said:
Garmin is a popular choice - 605 or 705. Mapping is expensive, but the open source maps are good from the one ride I used them before the crash.

Unfortunately I don't think you'll find anything 'cheap' which satisfies all your criteria: £150 minimum unless you have an N95.

'Mapping is expensive' does that mean you have to pay for mapped areas? i.e. buy the peak district map.

'open source maps'? are they a basic map provided free of charge??

sorry but I know nothing of GPS at all - just beginning to think they may be good on the bike!

gavintc

Guru
I got a Garmin 705 road bundle for Chrimbo and it came with a very good road map of Europe. It was not cheap and adding the 2nd sensor for the 2nd bike added even more cost.

Will1985

Über Member
mickwood said:
'Mapping is expensive' does that mean you have to pay for mapped areas? i.e. buy the peak district map.

'open source maps'? are they a basic map provided free of charge?
Yes - for a 705 you can expect to pay circa £220 for a basic model, then £250 for the next model up with a cadence meter. Including the nice Europe map, you'll be paying over £300!
But you can save yourself a lot using the open source maps which have as much detail as the add-on maps. I've not done a full test yet to see if route planning on the device is the same.

Cranky

mickwood said:
Are they worth the money do you think? or is that a 6 million dollar question!?

If you just want to find your way around, the cheapest Garmin Edge and bikeroutetoaster.com is probably the way to go (no pun intended). The more expensive devices have extra functions like cadence, heart rate monitor etc which you may not need.

I'm still using the old Edge 205 and it's taken me on several long tours around the UK with no problems. Worth every penny!

andym

Über Member
Get a Garmin HCx plus a handlebar mount (£140 altogether from Amazon). The 705 is designed to be a training aide - great piece of kit but a lot more than you need for touring.

The HCx comes with non-topographic mapping. If you want built-in topographic mapping If you want mapping you could buy the Garmin UK topographic mapping at £149 but I'd say put the money into a decent PC mapping software from Memory Map/Tracklogs/Anquet/Quo. Use the software to output the route and waypoints to the GPS and print out route maps.

There is open source mapping around - especially for the US. Never seen any for the UK, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Visit the Satmap site. TheSatmap comes with road mapping for the UK as standard, but OS maps of various scales for cycling/walking can be bought as desired for different counties/National Parks. Cheap it isn't but it is good and does exactly what it says on the tin.

yello

I have an Edge 305. It's a cracking bit of kit but, in all honesty, it is NOT what you want - nor is any of the Edge range - if you're primarily after GPS/mapping. The ONLY Edge units that do true GPS mapping, as is commonly understood by the phrase, are the 605 & 705 - and they are significantly more expensive than other suitable options - like the HCx mentioned above.

Don't get me wrong, the Edge units are great but their battery life and screen size alone do not make them suitable as a touring GPS navigation device.

samid

Guru
I got a Garmin Vista HCx and am pretty happy with it. It can do turn-by-turn directions, is water-proof, rather rugged (at least seems so), small enough to be handlebar-mounted and not look too goofy. Also, a VERY big plus is that unlike some other units, Vista uses plain old AA batteries rather than rechargeables - very handy when you're on a tour.

yello

samid said:
Vista uses plain old AA batteries rather than rechargeables - very handy when you're on a tour.

Exact-oh-bloody-lutley. Rechargables have their place, especially if they are swapable with std alkalines, but buying a pack of duracells is always possible when touring - finding somewhere to plug in to recharge is both not as easy nor as convenient.

OP
OP
M

mickwood

So would you suggest the satmap over the garmin 606/705?

what about maps for them? look costly for the satmap...any free 'pirate' maps available? ie. downloadable from websites etc?

Top Bottom