GPS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cranky

yello said:
Okay, around in circles we go! 2.5 years? That's a 305/205 then. So NOT really a GPS like the OP is asking for, i.e. one with auto-routing capability. The Edge with auto-routing, the 705 is by not "cheap as chips", as the OP asked for.

As for battery life, I think we are at cross purposes. How long does your Edge last from switching on to running out of batteries? Then you have to find somewhere to plug in to recharge it! (Unless you have a PowerMonkey kind of thing) Something like the Garmin Legend/Vista/Oregon is auto-routing, has a longer run time before 'recharge' (2 times an Edge in some cases) AND runs on standard AA batteries. Factor in the cost of the 705, and the Legend et al is pretty much a no-brainer preference!

Again, don't get me wrong. The Edge units are brilliant. I have a 305 and love it to bits. I reckon it's brilliant. Personally, I wouldn't use it for touring because I prefer maps. So I wouldn't bother with a GPS at all!

BUT, for the OPs stated requirements, I personally really really don't think an Edge is appropriate.

Yes, it is a 205, I said that in my original post.

I also recommended he look at bikeroutetoaster which has autorouting and is free.

My Edge 205 has never run out of power during a day's touring (8-10 hours). Yes, I do charge it up from the mains at the end of each day.

I don't have experience of the other brands/models being suggested but my suggestion met all the criteria of the OP, other than colour display (which I have never felt I needed).

Thank you.

yello

Cranky said:
I also recommended he look at bikeroutetoaster which has autorouting and is free.

And carry a laptop with GSM for auto-routing when on the road? :tongue:

Cranky, it's only an opinion. If the 205 works for you then cool. As I said, I reckon they're excellent units. If you want to recommend the 205 as an answer for the OP then that's cool too. No problems with that but I would disagree with you.

Starting with a blank sheet of paper, & looking at the OPs requirements, can you really say you'd stick an Edge on the short list? I wouldn't.

Cranky

yello said:
And carry a laptop with GSM for auto-routing when on the road? :tongue:

No need, I plan my routes in advance and, yes, I realise that everyone does not do this. People have different approaches to touring, as with everything in life.

I think we've worn this subject out now, yello, but I'll leave you to have the last word if you must.

Cheers.

andygates said:
Mapping is not always expensive. I have a weekly-updated Garmin UK streetmap with contours, from the OpenStreetMap dataset (see openstreetmap.org) free here: http://www.ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps - also check out OpenCycleMap for a bike-lane specific version.

Is that just for loading onto Garmin mapping devices like the 605/705, or can it be used in Training Centre as well?

yello

Cranky said:
I realise that everyone does not do this.

I'm glad you realise that not everyone would plan their touring in advance. Might be workable for a few days away but not really my idea of a 1 week plus tour... AND also having to plan for places to recharge the Edge!

That, in a nutshell is why the 205/305 is not suitable for touring, imo. It puts constraints upon you when you really should be able to just go where you want and as you feel.

I'll leave you to have the last word if you must.

No need to be like that. We can simply disagree with each other. I have no problem with that and I don't take it personally. :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

mickwood

Now now...cranky - Yello....spread the love! Each to their own, I'll check out ALL suggestions and pick the one I feel is best when the time comes

but for now....love not war my friends XXX :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have a PDA, memory map and then a separate gps receiver. I wanted the ability to look at OS maps, and log my route that I have travelled. I haven't yet mounted it on the bike... normally its in a pocket and I just stop to look at it occasionally (I'm quite good normally so don't need to look very often). I am intending on getting a bar bag and then mounting it on top that that so that I can read it as I go along. Charge wise it usually lasts all day, and then recharge in the evening.

OP
OP
M

mickwood

summerdays said:
I have a PDA, memory map and then a separate gps receiver. I wanted the ability to look at OS maps, and log my route that I have travelled. I haven't yet mounted it on the bike... normally its in a pocket and I just stop to look at it occasionally (I'm quite good normally so don't need to look very often). I am intending on getting a bar bag and then mounting it on top that that so that I can read it as I go along. Charge wise it usually lasts all day, and then recharge in the evening.

Hi Summerdays, I'm interested in the PDA route - seems way cheaper! (£40 on E-bay) but I'm a bit clueless to what a PDA actually is? A seperate GPS receiver? Is that needed in all PDA's? Can a PDA be used as a phone - i.e. pop in your sim and that acts as a phone and poss GPS receiver???

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Err you are probably asking the wrong person... I basically told Mr Summerdays I wanted to see maps and log routes he came up with the end result. No I can't use it as a phone... whether there are some that you can I don't know. It's a Dell Axim now several years old ... and the gps receiver thing is just a little box with flashing lights that talks to it via blue tooth.

The memory map bit was expensive... I went for the whole of the UK 1:50 000 but would like to add some other maps at 1:25 000 though. Don't know if other packages would work on the PDA... but nice big screen.

I don't think it would be that waterproof ... one of my Xmas pressies was a fancy bag to keep it in after trying to keep it dry when I was doing the Devon Coast to Coast.

OP
OP
M

mickwood

Thanks summerdays! I've been nosing around and yeah you can now get them with a GPS receiver in built and can be used as a phone!....I may....make....a.....purchase......just don't tell Claire (OH) she may not understand ;)

andym

Über Member
mickwood said:
Hi Summerdays, I'm interested in the PDA route - seems way cheaper! (£40 on E-bay) but I'm a bit clueless to what a PDA actually is? A seperate GPS receiver? Is that needed in all PDA's? Can a PDA be used as a phone - i.e. pop in your sim and that acts as a phone and poss GPS receiver???

I have a PDA as well - but battery life isn't anything like as good. Also they aren't waterproof and the display isn't as readable in sunshine.

An HCx backed up by a PDA would be a good combo. The Memory Map PDA software is pretty good.

andym

Über Member
I'd say four hours of continued use - but it depends on the state of the battery, screen brightness etc. More if you switch on and off (I use mine when I want to refer to the route on a map).

Top Bottom