Gradually Upgrading Components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Mighty News

I would like to gradually upgrade the components on my Specialized Allez, im thinking of starting with pedals but after that what is the next logical route or is there one?

I think in my position the cheapest first would be the starting point but after pedals where next?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Depends what you want to achieve. Do you want to make it
A) Lighter?
B) Faster?
C) Comfier?
D) Unique?

OP
OP
The Mighty News

The Mighty News

Depends what you want to achieve. Do you want to make it
A) Lighter?
B) Faster?
C) Comfier?
D) Unique?

I suppose a bit of everything, the gears on the bars are ok but could be smoother, I would like to give snap on pedals a whirl as I really cant get away with the basic ones that came with it. The brakes are the standard issue ones but there is no real need to change them unless I am missing something

Cubist

Still wavin'
OK, so what gears does it currently have? In terms of upgrades wheels and tyres are often a good start, but then chainset/drivetrain to suit how and where you want to ride.

Do you do your own maintenance, and can you do your own spannering if you choose to upgrade stuff like the drivetrain? The reason I ask is that you can find some absolute bargains in classifieds and eBay (occasionally) and can make good upgrades cheaply, but if you need a shop to do it all for you it may be cheaper simply to buy a "better" bike.

OP
OP
The Mighty News

The Mighty News

OK, so what gears does it currently have? In terms of upgrades wheels and tyres are often a good start, but then chainset/drivetrain to suit how and where you want to ride.

Do you do your own maintenance, and can you do your own spannering if you choose to upgrade stuff like the drivetrain? The reason I ask is that you can find some absolute bargains in classifieds and eBay (occasionally) and can make good upgrades cheaply, but if you need a shop to do it all for you it may be cheaper simply to buy a "better" bike.

I will be doing my own maintenance, my mate is good at doing his and i am sure he will provide pointers :-)

He has already sent some links for stuff to be honest.

Citius

Upgrading bars is a waste of time - it's a lot of faff for no discernible benefit. The biggest difference you will notice instantly in terms of ride quality and feel is by changing to a set of quality, lightweight tyres. Maybe look at the saddle if you can find one that is more comfortable (assuming the one you already have is not comfortable). Clip-in pedals will give you a more secure foot placement as you pedal. But bars? Seriously, save your money.

The rest of your bike is already capable of high performance - just needs to be ridden :smile:

cashy293

I'd agree with Citius. Not sure replacing the bars will make any difference. As an Allez owner myself, I kept it pretty standard with regards the groupset and just bought some new Fulcrum Quattro wheels and put some Michelin Pro 4's on.

Rode that for 2 years and then upgraded my bike and kept the Allez as a winter bike when I had saved up some money.

Drago

Legendary Member
Upgrading bars is a waste of time - it's a lot of faff for no discernible benefit.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement. It depends very much on the gents size and shape. If by chance he's fit, healthy and flexible and not overly large, then the typical 42cm bar will do. I'm well above average size wise and have limited range of movement on my right arm, so prefer one particular manufacturers 44cm bar.

To just say there will be no gain is preposterous and dangerously overarching statement. All the contact points require examination and thought.

Citius

That's a bit of a sweeping statement. It depends very much on the gents size and shape. If by chance he's fit, healthy and flexible and not overly large, then the typical 42cm bar will do. I'm well above average size wise and have limited range of movement on my right arm, so prefer one particular manufacturers 44cm bar.

To just say there will be no gain is preposterous and dangerously overarching statement. All the contact points require examination and thought.

Moving the goalposts again? The thread is about 'upgrades' - not bike fitting.

Citius

And making your bike function to its optimum is not an upgrade? Please explain.

Don't be obtuse. You know perfectly well this is a thread about the generally pointless pursuit of swapping out components for more expensive replacements. Odd that you hadn't mentioned anything about bike fits until I raised it.

Top Bottom