Gradually Upgrading Components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Obtuse? Ill be acute If you prefer.

You're contradicting yourself. You're suggesting the thread is "about the generally pointless pursuit of swapping out components for for more expensive replacements." Having conceded that a pointless exercise, you then suggest changing a saddle a more comfortable one can be found, or clip in pedals for greater security.

Yet you say a pointless exercise.

"Maybe look at the saddle if you can find one that is more comfortable", you say. Why not extend that same consideration to bars? Or pedals? It may be there's is little or no gain to be made from his current bars, but that could equally be true of his bum perch.

You're just being argumentative for the sake or it, then contradicting your previous posts in the very same thread when asked for clarification.

And speaking of clarification, how in any way is my previous post obtuse? It was a legitimate question, reasonably and politely put.

Cleaning your bike after a ride could be considered making it "function to its optimum" but I doubt there would be many people calling it an upgrade!

What do YOU define as an upgrade? Citius gives a definition that suits him, and has then given advice to the OP that is contrary to his very own definition.

"Upgrade - to raise something to a higher standard, in particular improve (equipment or machinery) by adding or replacing components." Seems pretty simple to me.

Last edited:

Citius

I'm not the one being argumentative. In a post about upgrades, you suggested bars. I suggested upgrading bars is a waste of time. So far so good.

Upgrading is generally a pointless pursuit, yes. Just because a couple of posters suggested that changing bars is a waste of time, you're getting all defensive and looking for a way out. So be my guest. I'll not embarrass you any further.

vickster

Legendary Member
Bar tape if it's the usual thin cork stuff. I like a nice thick tape like Lizardskins as I have dodgy hands, elbows, shoulders, extra cushioning required...also an upgrade from the usual thin cork stuff (IMO)

OP
OP
The Mighty News

The Mighty News

I'd agree with Citius. Not sure replacing the bars will make any difference. As an Allez owner myself, I kept it pretty standard with regards the groupset and just bought some new Fulcrum Quattro wheels and put some Michelin Pro 4's on.

Rode that for 2 years and then upgraded my bike and kept the Allez as a winter bike when I had saved up some money.

did you change the pedals? they currently have the plastic slot in foot holder which I find uncomfortable and a pain to get going again if I stop at lights or junction.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Changing your saddle or bars to ones the correct width/shape isn't really an upgrade that will improve the bike(because that's not the same as a wheel/tyre/frame/groupset/BB upgrade) - it's a fit issue, that leading to the rider being more comfortable, may be able to ride further/faster/longer/higher

Drago is currently in meathead mode, best to ignore

vickster

Legendary Member
Clipless pedals are good if you don't like the stock pedals, you'll also need the shoes that take the cleats to match the pedal system you choose. Probably looking at a minimum of £60 for new pedals and shoes (assuming the cheap shoes fit you)

Drago

Legendary Member
Suppose the gent changed his bars and also purchased lighter ones? Or prettier ones? Or lighter and prettier ones? Would that become an upgrade?

I used the definition of upgrade used by the International College of Mechanical Engineers in my previous post. Now, do I believe them or Mr thmnet?

cashy293

did you change the pedals? they currently have the plastic slot in foot holder which I find uncomfortable and a pain to get going again if I stop at lights or junction.

I bought cheap SPD-SL's with the bike. Think they were about £20 but then I had to get the cleats and shoes too. Came to about £80 for the shoes, cleats and pedals but then I was buying the cheaper end of the range incase I didn't get into cycling as much as I have.

PS - Id imagine you will find clipless pedals much more of a pain to get used to when you first start using them ;-)

vickster

Legendary Member
A couple of cheap pedal / shoe combinations (pedals come with cleats)....free returns to Wiggle if the shoes don't fit - advice - read the comments on the shoes around fit and buy your normal shoe size and the one up (return one or both pairs which don't fit). Clipless FAQ in beginner section explains the differences between SPD (properly walkable) and SPD-SL (walkable like a duck for short distances ;) )

SPD: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-m10-mountain-bike-cycling-shoe/ + http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals/
SPD-SL : http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-r10-road-cycling-shoe/ + http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-r540-spd-sl-sport-pedals/

cashy293

Obtuse? Ill be acute If you prefer.

What do YOU define as an upgrade? Citius gives a definition that suits him, and has then given advice to the OP that is contrary to his very own definition.

"Upgrade - to raise something to a higher standard, in particular improve (equipment or machinery) by adding or replacing components." Seems pretty simple to me.

I wouldn't disagree with the above definition. Cleaning my bike which fits your "optimum performance" definition certainly wouldn't be classed as an upgrade according to your googled definition or mine!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Good grief! A guy asks a couple of questions about what to change on his bike to suit him, and we descend into a bitter slanging match about the definition of upgrade, unable to do so without insults and scorn. Who gives a shoot what words the OP has used? No wonder this place is going to the dogs.

@The Mighty News ... you change what you want old luv. If you need different bars to make the bike fit you better and be more comfortable, then feel free. Do you need wider, lighter, shallower drop, shorter reach?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Did someone mention 'irony'? :laugh:

Anyway - can you explain why you think my comment was 'bollox' ?
Irony was my point.

Upgrading a bike gives a sense of satisfaction, makes the bike unique to the owner, often gets around corners cut by the manufacturer in terms of equipment spec, can improve ride quality, ease of maintenance, psychological advantages in terms of novelty factor, panders to a personal ambition to own an "improved product". It can also save a considerable amount of money by buying, for example, a used bike for little money, and adding new, upgraded components, achieving a bike specc'd a few models up, for less money than the target bike.

Folk who understand this will nod sagely and carry on. Others will carp on and on about how upgrading is a waste of time, embittered and reproachful, and tell the OP to buy a new B'Twin.

Top Bottom