Grandfather clock - result!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I have a Grandfather clock, quite literally as my grandfather bought it new almost a hundred years ago. Obviously since then it's been in the family (he died in 1976) and I seem to have inherited it, as it has been in my hands for the last 35 years or so and I'm not letting any of my siblings getting their hands on it. ^_^
It kept good time, is a fine piece of furniture in its own right, and I enjoy winding it up (whilst enacting that scene from "The Untouchables" just before Sean Connery gets shot). However at least 5 and probably nearer 10 years ago I knocked it whilst hoovering. Since then it has not worked for more than a few minutes at a time and I haven't been able to find anyone to come and look at it.
So for the last few years I've been psyching myself up to have a look at it.
Finally got a round tuit yesterday. After rigging up a temporary stand in my garage I transferred the mechanism onto it, so I could see the back like this (you can see my spirit level there)

And this

Anyhow I with my heart in my mouth I took a piece off the back which holds the spindle for the pendulum (sorry don't know any technical terms) thinking it might need some oil. I then got scared and put it back together! There are so many cogs! After Youtubing things, through trial and error I just kept moving a piece on the rear and timing how long it was going for each time. Hallelujah eventually it kept going!
However I still had to move it back into the house, which I did this afternoon (after carefully levelling the case). It didn't work at first, but at least I had a vague idea of what to do so again through trial and error I've managed to get it going again. I'm well chuffty at that!

PS for the clock pedants I know it probably isn't even a grandfather clock but a grandmother clock and should be called a longcase clock but it's going now!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Had you forgotten to change the battery then?

Venod

Eh up
Its very satisfying when a clock comes to life, the MIL has just moved into care, we inhereted a wall pendulum clock that handn't worked for years, I took the works out to investigate. it has three mainsprings one for the clock power, one for the chime timing and one for the chime power, the chime timing spring had been overwound and come off its spindle, it had bent so it wasn't catching when wound, I bent it back to original shape and fitted it back in its drum and it was OK, I took the other two springs out and cleaned them and the clock in general, I put drops of the thinest oil I could find on each spindle put it back together and it works, setting it completly level is a must.
I am enjoying winding the clock and adjusting the pendulum to keep correct time.
You tube was a big help especially getting the chime timing right after removing its rack and drive train.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie

Thanks everyone for the kind words, I can't express how pleased I am that it's going again.
@rockyroller I took the chimes off ages ago, they're in the bottom of the case. I don't really want it chiming again (although I know what you mean abut the sound) every 15 mins would drive me nuts. I could put them back, but then I'd have to remove the sights and I like the look with them in.
@Venod you're way above my league in what you did, respect!
@Chromatic he's the person who blows my mind with the things he does "I'll just make another of these tiny, tiny cogs from scratch".
@MontyVeda I've no idea about clocks, but I do agree it's a handsome beast!

Have to be careful. Really needs cleaning too. Like your chain, if you just add oil to dirt you will create an abrasive mix that accelerates wear between the pivots and the holes they run in

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Well done.
Clocks, particularly long case clocks, seem to become part of the family. We have a long case "grandfather" clock my Mum bought about 50 years ago. We rarely hear it, although visitors always do. But if I forget to wind it up we notice the absence of chimes.
And if the mechanism is away for a clean or exceptionally a repair, it's horrible. I once likened it to an open coffin. When I mentioned it to the horologist, he said he had a customer whose children had drawn a face on paper and stuck it on the upper part of the clock because they didn't like the empty space.

Venod

Eh up
You are Steve Fletcher AICMFP

I had to resort to Google to find out who he was, I have watched the programme but didn't know his name, a very talented bloke, he does some excellent work.

I have spent my life repairing things for a living some of them very complicated, but clocks always amaze me, I always think who came up with the design and idea, then when you have figured out how the basic clock works you can't help but be impressed with the chime mechanism and its complexities, the early clockmakers were outstanding.

OP
OP
Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie

@Venod I also had to Google the name! :whistle:

I think the story about John Harrison and the "longitude race" is fascinating on so many levels. Carpenter (presumably not well educated) from Lincolnshire comes up with those ideas. Amazing. The clocks in the Greenwich museum are works of art. In some ways it mirrors the development of the bicycle going down a technological dead end (the penny farthing and the early H1,2,3 clocks) to what later worked well (bikes as we know them and the H4 or was it H5?).

@mistyoptic I thought about that and haven't added any oil at all (I do have some clock oil) but I'm going to leave it well alone.

Top Bottom