"Granny gear" and sexism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
This cropped up in the "get home after a breakdown" thread, and several people correctly said it was a diversion of a quite useful and interesting thread. So, for anyone interested in discussing this in its own right:

The term "granny gear" is deeply embedded in cycling, is used by most people with no malign intent, but is nonetheless derogatory and sexist.

The paradigm behind it is that cycling is a macho activity; real cyclists ought to be macho enough to cope without low gears; and not subscribing to that macho culture, or simply prefering easier gears, is distinctively female (and, the imagery conveys, old, feeble females at that).

Low gears make cycling easier and more enjoyable. It cannot be anything other than sexist to link a desire for cycling to be easy and enjoyable with women.

It is damaging not just because all prejudice always diminishes all of us, but because the whole sports-derived macho culture of cycling - of which selling ordinary people bikes with unsuitably high gears is part - puts off more people discovering and embracing our wonderful mode of travel, to the detriment of them, us, and the whole of society.

Discuss (if you wish).

vickster

Legendary Member
And some people believe that a woman might choose to use a breakdown recovery service like ETA just so they can pick up cute taxi drivers :rolleyes: not because they may not have the interest, desire, time or skill to fix a bike at the side of the road

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
When someone posted about 'granny gear' being sexist/ageist a while ago I thought it was a wind-up.

Last edited by a moderator:

vickster

Legendary Member
The irony of being racist in a thread complaining about sexism is not lost on me. :smile:
Huh? Not racist, you live in Wales don’t you and made a comment about granny being a name for grandfather. Not one I’ve ever heard in England, so I wondered if it’s maybe a Welsh thing?!

bpsmith

Veteran
Huh? Not racist, you live in Wales don’t you and made a comment about granny being a name for grandmother. Not one I’ve ever heard in England, so I wondered if it’s maybe a Welsh thing?!
Glad you responded in that manner.

I was just trying to demonstrate that Intention is everything. You didn’t intend to be racist, and I didn’t genuinely think that, but using similar words with a different intention can be racist.

My point being that I have honestly never heard anyone use the term granny gear with the intention of offending anyone female, older, or both. More often than not, they are referring to themselves using that gear and not being negative usually.

Edit: the same goes for my post referencing the experienced rider thread. Zero negative intention, but the same argument could be applied.

My wife uses the term, and she really is a granny, she doesn’t think the term derogatory, I was actually thinking of fitting a granny gear to my road bike, I am a grandad, and I don’t think the term is fixed by sex,

Is it derogatory if a granny uses the term for low gearing?

I think it only derogatory if the meaning of the person who says it meant it to be derogatory, I don’t think it automatic to assume, many words can be used that are derogatory, and most can’t be changed or banned, jumping straight into offended on someone else’s behalf is a mistake imho,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom