"Granny gear" and sexism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
It seems that us grandads are going to be homeless as we get older. Searched the www, but they only build annexes for granny's.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Isn't it interesting how defensive people can get when asked to consider the everyday language that they use without thinking, with a view to maybe revising what they say in order to be a bit more sensitive? It's nothing to be proud of, being stuck in the rut of the linguistic past, after all.
Also, it's interesting how there was a similar reaction when mother-in-law jokes came under fire. Can't say that I've missed them since they went right out of fashion.

Last edited by a moderator:

screenman

Legendary Member
The grannie gear was invented by Albert Grannie, hence the name. In finding his new bike was making his legs hurt going up the steep hill by his house, he decided to experiment and found that changing the front ring was easier than changing the rear.

Kajjal

Guru
Is wales the country 200 miles west of England ?

As a ripped, bronzed cycling Adonis my bikes don’t have granny gears only the king of gears it takes a real man to push.

And on the topic of THIS thread, I don't think it is a term which denigrates women.

I live up a great big hill and think the first time I heard it it was used, directed at me, in good humour, by a bloke walking up it. I took it in good humour. I have heard the word used by women. Including by one on this thread who seems to be trying to denigrate its usage. Talk about gameplaying.

Nowt so queer (hey another thread) as folk.

I am pretty sure I have heard it used by experienced female cyclists on rides I have lead.

I think the term is often used by the users of such gears. Of both sexes. So hard to see how it could be used in a derogatory fashion.

As for it being ageist, the term can commonly be seen used by folks on the ctc forum. A very sane and helpful place. And they would probably be the first to admit that the ctc has a certain age profile.

I returned to this topic musing on a bus going across a northern moor and other "possible" sexist transport terms floated across my mind.

"deadman's handle".

?

In short, I would relax swanson. Or you may find yourself being used.

Gawd help us all if this is the burning issue of the day.

Brads

Good god almighty.

A joke thread surely ? What the hell has went wrong with this country when this is a thing ?

My Granny couldn`t shove a 52 tooth front up a mahoosive hill, so she would need a granny gear.

OP
OP
swansonj

swansonj

Guru
I thought I'd been reasonably clear in the OP, but just in case:

The vast majority of people who use this term (including myself for many years) clearly do not intend it to be derogatory or sexist.

That does not (IMO) stop it from being both those things.

OP
OP
swansonj

swansonj

Guru
Please answer the question posed.

Do you think"granny gear" is a sexist term which denigrates women?

If so, why?
It's not as simple as "denigrates women". Using low gears is actually a very sensible thing for most people to do. There are complex layers to do with the unstated implicit assumptions that (a) cycling is supposed to be macho and hard, not easy, and (b) therefore not suitable for women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom