Gravel Bike or MTB ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
An MTB and a Gravel bike, N+1 and all that :okay:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Watched the first 3 minutes and definitely a track where the gravel bike will be quicker given the right rider. I've certainly ridden much rougher tracks on my gravel machine and got places on the Strava top ten boards.

The rider in the vid isn't a great rider and leaves the track a couple of times. I guess he would likely fall off on those tight, loose corners on an mtb too?

I do take my gravel bike now at times when I would previously have always reached for the mtb, but for some things, only the mtb will do!

Baldy

Über Member
Well he got down without too much trouble so it was quite doable on a gravel bike. Whether I would find it so easy is another thing.

Dan77

For me on that route I would much rather be riding a MTB. I need more experience to get better at handling my road bike but even with a good amount of experience I'm certain I would be able to handle a MTB better on that track.
I really don't see the gravel bike actually being quicker. You're not realistically going to be getting into a particularly aero position on a route like that. Less confidence in grip leads to slower cornering. Less confidence under braking due to hand position may mean being more cautious and still less safe on the gravel bike.
Then there's the times when it gets a bit rocky or a bit loose and you lose much more time than you can possibly have gained.

I think it would also be less fun on a gravel bike. You're trying to keep it planted and steady whereas on a MTB you can throw it around and enjoy the corners and bumps.

I'd love a gravel bike but not for that track. I would mainly be using it for towpaths, gravel tracks, the odd bit of single track that's not particularly challenging and roads.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It really depends on your handling skills. A mountain bike would be far more forgiving and planted but a gravel bike or road bike or touring bike or bmx or cx bike would deal with it relatively easily in the right hands.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I only watcha little bit, but seems to be a lot of downhill, whereas its uphill that the Gravel bike kicks a MTB's butt.

I did think he was lucky he didn't meet a group of ramblers coming the other way round some of those corners:laugh:

Top Bottom